Author Topic: The UDP Test for RailPro tool  (Read 1766 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
The UDP Test for RailPro tool
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »
aka the UDP Test tool

I've been developing this program for a while now and for all intensive purposes it's finished.  It works and I don't think there are any more tests I could build in that doesn't duplicate software already freely available, and that I would be wanting to spend my time programming.

The UDP Test tool is a diagnostics tool to help figure out where the connection issue is if someone can not install RailPro Assistant or HC Simulator instead of blindly guessing and trying random things to try and solve the problem.

I know the UI isn't pretty but it's definitely function over form for this program, and even the function is pretty ugly!

Screen cap running.png

Why this tool?

For those members here who cannot install RailPro Assistant or HC Simulator because the installers cannot download from Ring Engineering, I wrote this tool for you. After the takedown notice from RE on the copies of RailPro Assistant and HC Simulator that had been hosted here I wondered what else I could do to help those who could not download from RE. This is the result  (See TR, I didn't get angry; I just try to find solutions).

So, what can the UDP Test tool do?

• It can check the status (on/off) of the firewalls on your computer.
  • It can check if you have run the program as Administrator.
  • It can check if port 80 is already in use by another program.

Using the UDP protocol, it can:

• Trace the route from your computer to Ring Engineerings server on any port you specify.
  • Test the connection between your computer and Ring Engineerings server on the ports that Ring Engineerings server comminucates on giving some limited feedback (this is a limitation of testing the connection to a server that someone else controls, ie Ring Engineering).
  • Mimicking the connection that would take place between your computer and Ring Engineerings server, test the connection from your computer to a specially written webpage on a range of ports, with the webpage giving feedback that the page received the connection or not, and if it did receive the connection what it received. The page also replies back to the UDP Test tool which the tool will display what it received from the webpage.

What can't the UDP test tool do ?

It can't magically solve connection issues between your computer and Ring Engineering for you. The tests are designed to try and isolate where the issue is so you can then fix the issue.

Where is the tool?

The UDP Test tool is not especially designed for self diagnosis, it was written with guided assistance in mind however that doesn't mean self diagnosis isn't possible if you have moderate computer troubleshooting skills and instructions on how to use the UDP Test tool will be written. The tool will uploaded at the same time as the instructions are. This should be soon.

The specially written webpage is a different matter. It is a central part of the diagnosis but what the page does is not allowed by 99.9% of web hosting companies. I found one who has graciously offered to try and make their hosting work for the webpage but... as looking after a zealous  RailPro user is not part of their core business it could be some time, which is fine. It might also be impossible for the host to be able to make it work with their hosting in which case an alternative hosting scenario will have to happen, which will come with a major caveat.

- Tim

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
Re: The UDP Test for RailPro tool
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 05:34:03 AM »
The UDP Test tool has been uploaded to the files area, and two guides on the software posted to the User guides area.

The web page for conducting connection tests we are still waiting to see if the host can make their hosting work for the web page.

An alternate plan is in place if it can't be done but that plan means the page will likely only be able to be hosted when needed for a few hours a night.

- Tim

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
Re: The UDP Test for RailPro tool
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »
The testing web page for the UDP Test for RailPro tool is up.

Many thanks to Bill (the gracious host) for putting up with me to make his hosting work for the page.

The page can be accessed from the tool directly by clicking a button, or by going to rptools.pdc.ca/udptest.php in your web browser manually. I've updated the instructions in the user guide area on the IP address to be used in the tool to make the tool communicate with the web page.

Please, those that can not install RPA or HC Sim because the installers can not download from RE please make use of the tool and the web page, they are written for you. Even if the connection problem can not be solved because the issue is determined to be at your internet service provider at least you'll have the info to go to RE and say "This is what was tried, this is where the problem is you need to fix your distribution model".

- Tim