Author Topic: What to buy  (Read 4136 times)

jjwdadof4

• Fireman
What to buy
« on: May 30, 2018, 07:20:50 AM »
I am wanting to know what I need to buy I have one loco that is DCC ready that is it right now, so I need everything I'm a noob to DCC so any help is appreciated

Thanks
Josh
Thanks
Josh

Just having fun

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: What to buy
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 07:30:08 AM »
If you already have power to the track then all you need is a handheld controller HC and at least one module LM with or without sound. Our host Bill @ http://pdc.ca/rr/catalog can get you fixed up at competitive prices.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

jjwdadof4

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 12:57:50 PM »
I have been looking on his sight, I need it all the only power I have to the track is from old Tyco controllers
Thanks
Josh

Just having fun

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 01:49:56 PM »
Sounds like you need a RPK-1 starter kit and a module.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

jjwdadof4

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 02:17:32 PM »
How about the computer module? Will I need a speaker I want sound and will I need an adapter my lock is 8 pin
Thanks
Josh

Just having fun

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »
The computer module is optional if you want a better way to load sounds and updates from Ring's website. The downloads sometimes tax battery life on a HC. I live well without a CI. Just make sure the HC is fully charged before doing any software updates.

If sound is desired then yes you will need a speaker. KPack has some good insights on using sugar cube and iPhone speakers elsewhere on this forum. The speaker should be rated 1 watt or higher.

Yes you will need an adapter harness to convert 8 pin NMRA plug to 9 pin JST plug. Available from many different sources. Here is one: http://tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Products/Harnesses/harnesses.html. Make sure you correctly orient the number 1 pin position when using a 8 to 9 pin harness.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »
Contact Bill on here. He has the best prices and very helpful. Be sure to tell Bill you want sound.

Carter

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
Hi Josh,

You can find the T series 8 pin adapter you need on my site on the accessories page:
https://pdc.ca/rr/catalog/product/harnesses-keep-alives-and-other-accessories/63

There is a 1" long version and a 3" version, along with reversed versions.
Most people order the regular versions.

The T series adapter, an LM-3 or LM3S and the RPK-1 should get you going!
If you want the iPhone 4S speaker, I have those too.

Cheers!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

jjwdadof4

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 08:42:38 PM »
Bill, I need everything that will get me started
Thanks
Josh

Just having fun

jjwdadof4

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 08:57:45 PM »
Thank you all for taking time to help me out I am looking forward to getting started with railpro and keeping  in touch with everyone
Thanks
Josh

Just having fun

Xavier

• Brakeman
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
you need a RPK-1 starter kit and a module.