Author Topic: GEVO ULT sound  (Read 8934 times)

crzytrnbuf

• Fireman
Re: GEVO ULT sound
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 09:37:40 PM »
Thanks Kevin for the Gevo ULT update sure sounds Great,Very nice Weathering on that BNSF Locomotive.

Den the Crzytrnbuf

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
Thanks Kevin!
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 10:32:15 PM »
So, I shared this with a buddy of mine who is a 10 year engineer with BNSF and a fellow modeler. His reaction was that the startup sounds good but the notching doesn't sound right at all. He said it sounds like a locomotive with the reverser centered that was ran through the notches and not one under a load. He shared a video with me of a GEVO under load and accelerating a stack train and you can tell a substantial difference. This sound profile sounds like a big miss and just isn't going to cut it with what is being offered by the competition.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 11:39:26 PM »
The beta was better.  I shared my concern with Tim and he is looking into it.  For whatever reason the beta and the final version were markedly different.  The beta was for sure recorded from a ES44 under load....it was the only locomotive on the train and went through all 8 notches.  I have no idea why the beta and final were different. 

I have a video I made of the beta over a year ago somewhere...I'll post it up for comparison.  The notching is much better and the "chugging" prime mover is far more pronounced from notch 3-8.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 09:28:43 AM »
Here you go:

The idle/notch 1 in the beta wasn't very good, and far too loud.  The new idle is correct.  I like the other notches much better in the beta as compared to the final release.  Again, no idea why the difference....they should have all come from the same source recording.  Bruce can chime in here....I believe he's the one who recorded it.

-Kevin

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
Yep, It's all from the same recording that I did on an ES44DC. One unit on line with 8800 tons. I agree with Kevin and I've spoken to Tim voicing the same concerns that the notches in the beta GEVO were better. In a quiet room I think it sounds better at a distance than up close. I'm not a modern day modeler so I don't run stuff like this on a regular basis, just when I do an install for someone. Maybe I could do another recording and see if there's a difference.

As a foot note the GEs from the Dash 8 series onwards only have 3 physical engine rpm increases as you notch up, so just the load on the engine changes.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 11:16:41 AM »
Bruce - to your ears, which version sounds more correct?  The current ULT file or the beta?  Is it possible to compare them to your original source recording?

Jacob - did you have your friend listen to the other ULT files?  The more I listen to the prototype the more impressed I am with the new ULT files.  The GE 7FDL-16 in particular....so good.

-Kevin

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 12:39:31 AM »
Kevin:

I did not but I'll see if I can arrange that.

Jacob
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org