Author Topic: Recommended speakers for Athearn BB and P2K GP30  (Read 1965 times)

IDRick

• Fireman
Recommended speakers for Athearn BB and P2K GP30
« on: July 14, 2018, 09:37:39 PM »
I have no knowledge about speakers in model RR locomotives and was wondering if I could get a recommendation to go along with a future Railpro system.  My locomotives are P2k GP 30 and two athearn BB (GP 38-2 and GP 40-2).

Thanks!

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Re: Recommended speakers for Athearn BB and P2K GP30
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 11:00:11 PM »

If you have room enough, the cell phone speakers that our host has for sale might be what you need. I use the cell phone speakers exclusively in most of my installations. Oh the price is nice too. A lot of other speaker choices like round, square and oblong. TOF

IDRick

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »

If you have room enough, the cell phone speakers that our host has for sale might be what you need. I use the cell phone speakers exclusively in most of my installations. Oh the price is nice too. A lot of other speaker choices like round, square and oblong. TOF

Thanks for the suggestion darryl! :)  Can you describe your installation process and perhaps show some images?  I definitely a visual learner as pick up things easily with youtube videos but can occasionally get confused with written descriptions.

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 01:32:17 PM »
For my P2K GP30, I initially had a cut down iPhone 4 speaker installed under the rear fans, but I've recently switched it to a single Sugar Cube under the exhaust stack as that's where the sound should be coming from. Personally, I'm not sure which sounds better, but I like the sound better coming from the correct area.

I've used the iPhone speaker for all of my installs, save for a P2K S3 and my fleet of Bowser SD40-2s which required Sugar Cubes. Surprisingly the SD40-2s are ridiculously tight for space!
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »
 Since most installations might be different, I could not show all of the places I stuffed cell phone speakers. Depending on the engine and I only have diesel types, you can layout the module and speaker to see where they can fit before attaching them down. The cell phone speaker that Bill has on his website for sale, can be cut down as you do not need all of it but I haven't had the need to cut one yet. So there is no plan to follow as you just do a trial and error see find out what will work. Now if you are into steam? That is a whole different game as you have a tender to drop all of the goodies in and not having to worry about room. Some steam engines do have room in the cab and doesn't look very good but some boilers have enough room. Grab an engine, module plus a speaker and go for it as it will fit something somewhere. Go for it #########. TOF  8) in Arid-Zona

IDRick

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:17:23 PM »
Okay, thanks!  I'm a total novice at this and need to sharpen my soldering skills before attempting an install.  Need to investigate and see what videos are available on-line.  thanks again.