Author Topic: RailPro... Do we now have real competition? Where to from here?  (Read 7392 times)

john handlogten

• Fireman
Re: RailPro... Do we now have real competition? Where to from here?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »
Reading and changing CV's using the Ecos system is easier than using my old DCC system but it is still way more complicated and confusing than updating a RailPro decoder.
John H.

Joel B.

• Fireman
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
Thanks John, that's what I wanted to know. So basically it's just a different UI on top of Dcc, the way I understand it.
Thanks,
Joel B.

TomO

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 09:50:21 AM »
Hi, former RailPro user because I wanted a ProtoThrottle. My DCC system of choice became after an exhaustive search, the ESU Cab Control system 7 amp system. I sold my RailPro equipment because Tim Ring would not talk to me about interfacing the PT with RP. Sorry for restarting this thread but I stopped coming here in July when my ESUsystem and the PRotoThrottle arrived.

Let me say the ESU system is excellent. Let me say my 3 years of prior use of the RP system was better and less frustrating. Shared loads, NOT on ESU, plenty of CV playing around with, oh yeah. Loconet features, yep the unactivated port is ready. Updatable software via the internet, gee sounds familiar. Affordability, tough to answer that, as each of us has different financial happenings. In my research of the ESU, I believe it is the best bang for a buck in the DCC market.

The use together with the ProtoThrottle is as they say priceless. But I only have 1 PT and again I am seriously thinking of going back to RP. I played with creating my own interface for RP and the PT but I am not qualified. There are lots of starting out engineers and creative people in my area of Madison, Wi. But they want too much to create one for me. Reverse engineering the Ring Engineering systems for one’s own use is legal, for commercial use, it is not legal.

People who have nevered used a RP system do not understand what they are missing. I know I am preaching to the choir but the RP truly is a great system. The ESU system as I mentioned is excellent but even with updatable software, the use of WiFi, it is not an easy system to learn. I will remind you that CV playing is not enjoyable. I have now used on my layout, DC, CVP, DeadRail using the CVP wireless throttles and the RailPro system, RP via the rails and now ESU via rails with the ProtoThrottle and RailPro is by far the easiest system to operate, consist and enjoy your Railroad. The ProtoThrottle though is an enhancement I will not do without as it truly has changed the thrill to me of operating my locomotives.

Is ESU competition to RailPro? Not in my mind. The biggest issue though with RailPro is in 2 words, Tim Ring. He has created a marvelous game changing system that he will not push to sell or interact easily with its users. We all know Tim is happy advertising on MRH but that is the only place I have seen his RailPro ads. I don’t believe if something would happen to Tim that things for RailPro users would change much for years after. No different I feel then if something changed for the principles at Digitrac or CVP.

YMMV
Tom in Wisconsin

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 12:05:20 PM »
Tom, there's nothing saying you can't use both systems on your layout.  Why not Protothrottle for switching and Railpro for mainline MU lashups?  Best of both worlds?

Ease of use and enjoyment is why I like Railpro.  I do wish that some things would be different (faster development/updates/sounds, more willing to enhance the product), but I'm certainly happy with the improvements that have been made thus far.  I just can't ever see myself going back to CV's.....just the thought makes me want squeeze a lemon into my eyes.

I think ESU has really set the standard when it comes to DCC.  Their sounds and operating system are very nice.  Railpro is a different beast and probably has a lot of underutilized potential.

-Kevin

TomO

• Fireman
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »
Kevin thanks for the reply. Basically I errored and should have kept a RP throttle but that’s life. I am thinking seriously of doing that. I have given up the idea of interfacing the PT with RailPro but I know there are a couple guys working on it or just talking. I will let folks know.

Tom

jimw

• Fireman
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »
the only significant drawback that I find with RailPro is the small number of steam sounds available.

I have about 40 steam locomotive models of all types, but until Railpro significantly expands its sound library, I will defer ordering more LM3s.  I've been following this forum since it started, but so far the sound upgrades seem limited to diesel prime movers, bells, whistles and barking dogs.  I truly hope the
system becomes more useful to the pre-diesel modeller, because in all other aspects I consider it superior to anything else on the market.

Incidentally, when I first got my Railpro, I had to call Tim Ring for help on a weekend:  He answered the phone himself and was VERY gracious and patient.  Hard to find customer service like that anywhere these days!

JimW