Author Topic: Diesel Bell Sound  (Read 1626 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Diesel Bell Sound
« on: August 19, 2018, 08:47:41 PM »
Does anyone know the source? And is there a difference sound between different bells? I've acquired a Rock Island bell off a GP38-2 and am considering recording and loading it into my modules.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: Diesel Bell Sound
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »
As I model CP Rail, I use the CN Diesel Bell - Bill, our host, recorded it from a CN SD40 if memory serves. It's got a nice tone and you can hear the mechanism whacking the dinger against the bell - just like the CP GP38-2s that run behind my house (when they aren't converted over to that god-awful E-Bell they have now a days.)

I've also used the Bell Bronze file for a S3. Slightly faster ring rate, beautiful ring echo when you finish the ringing.

I'd download a couple of different files and load them to your loco. Then set them up one at a time and see which one you like the best.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »
The source recording was from a UP yard locomotive, if I recall correctly.  EMD bells are mostly the same, but there will be a slight variation from locomotive to locomotive.  The generic Diesel Bell sound is appropriate for most EMD's that haven't been converted to E-Bell. 

If you want a unique sound, find some videos of the prototype you are going for on Youtube and make your own bell file from that.  I did that with BNSF 1973 (sd40-2) I built....found a video of that specific prototype on Youtube and created my own horn and bell files from it.  Doesn't get closer to the prototype than that!

-Kevin

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 07:39:30 AM »
The source recording was from a UP yard locomotive, if I recall correctly.  EMD bells are mostly the same, but there will be a slight variation from locomotive to locomotive.  The generic Diesel Bell sound is appropriate for most EMD's that haven't been converted to E-Bell. 

If you want a unique sound, find some videos of the prototype you are going for on Youtube and make your own bell file from that.  I did that with BNSF 1973 (sd40-2) I built....found a video of that specific prototype on Youtube and created my own horn and bell files from it.  Doesn't get closer to the prototype than that!

-Kevin

Kevin:

I would love to see a tutorial or at least a brief description of how to do this. I have been wanting to work with some Rock Island horn videos on youtube and upload them into my LM's but this is out of my area of knowledge.

Thanks.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org