Welcome to RPUG > Forum Tips and Help

Abbreviations

<< < (2/3) > >>

Alan:

--- Quote from: qldrail on November 09, 2018, 01:01:31 AM ---welcome to the modern world of  "abbreviations" !!!  I can understand the occasion when it is necessary to use  abbreviations, however, there use has
become so common so as to suggest that the use of indicates a lack of knowledge of the item in question. Or is it   "the modern way " moving to fast to take the time ?  Please help me understand what in many cases the item is ?  Keving.

--- End quote ---

Be thankful for abbreviations. The less modern fast way to write was shorthand. The forum posts could have looked like this:

G8B4Life:
Just to throw more spanners in the works Cecil should have titled his post  "Abbreviations, Acronyms and Initialisms"; there was only one abbreviation in his original list, the rest were acronyms and initialisms , but I digress...

I wouldn't call the use of abbreviations, acronyms or initialisms modern by any means, many have been around for a very very long time (like anything to do with measurement for instance). I also wouldn't say that the use of has become so common that it indicates a lack of knowledge of an item in question, in fact I would say the reverse is true, knowledge (however intimate) of an item in question is more likely to induce using an abbreviation, acronym or initialism than a lack of knowledge.

As to "moving too fast to take the time" I don't think so, certainly not here anyway. I don't think I've ever seen an abbreviation, acronym or initialism here that only a few out of the many would know without having to look it up or ask. For other aspects that I've had to deal with as part of this hobby then yes I agree; probably the biggest thing that (insert nice word for profane word that starts with s here) me is the laziness of people with expensive educations to not put math symbols in equations.

- Tim

Alan:
Funny story and also a testament to Cecil starting this thread...

I work for AkzoNobel. There are so many acronyms used within the company that we actually have a Cecil-like thread link right on the landing page of the company intranet site. A $10 billion dollar global company has an acronym list on the internal corporate landing page!!! It's called Akzonyms! I just looked and there are over 400 listed Akzonyms. I am willing to bet the Akzonym page is one of the most employee visited pages on our intranet.

Alan:
Another few for you Cecil from a recent thread.

RF - radio frequency
PS - power supply
SMPS - switch mode power supply

atsfguy:
Thanks again, Alan. While reviewing the list while logged in, I saw the cartoon you drew to illustrate the relaionship between volts, amps and watts moving through a wire (pipe) and had a great laugh. Thanks again.

Cecil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version