Author Topic: Beyond Frustrated with Railpro  (Read 16207 times)

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
Re: Beyond Frustrated with Railpro
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 03:15:00 PM »
Operating Rail Pro and landing rockets... same skill set.

Who’d have guessed?
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »
Annnnnnd running HC Sim in admin mode does not protect files saved to the HC from being wiped.  Reload....
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 06:43:26 PM »
Annnnnnd running HC Sim in admin mode does not protect files saved to the HC from being wiped.  Reload....

Did you assign unique names to HC Sim and your HC? (pg4 in HC Sim manual)

Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »

Did you assign unique names to HC Sim and your HC? (pg4 in HC Sim manual)

No?  But I currently only have the HC Sim. I have not purchased a handheld yet.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 07:03:57 PM »

You referenced HC hence why I asked. Sounds like you are saying files are not being saved when you close and relaunch HC Sim, correct?
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »

You referenced HC hence why I asked. Sounds like you are saying files are not being saved when you close and relaunch HC Sim, correct?

I was being lazy referring to HC. My apologies. Actually I’ve had HC Sim crash a couple times when loading a file, so closing wasn’t voluntary. I’m halfway through retrying and will post a screen shot if unsuccessful.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »
Wow, that screen looks very odd. What's with the "exit" and "information" hanging out in space? Those should be tied to a button. There are some serious issues going on with the program here.

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2018, 08:40:03 PM »
I agree. The words there aren’t buttons, they are just words. Have to close and restart. Note this is only a been a problem when trying to load the 710 ULT file to the LM3S.

Also I have to say most of the issues so far I’ve had can be tied to user error. This definitely is a software bug. I ought to shoot this one off to ring.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:41:34 PM by emd_16645 »
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2018, 09:08:21 PM »
Yeah, that is very odd. Corrupted file(s) for sure.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 10:31:41 PM »
It is my understanding you must always run RP software in Admin mode (at least I always have) because the software writes to the C:Program Files directory.

RPA and HC Sim haven't used C:\Program Files as a writable location since at least version 2. They both now use C:\ProgramData for a writable location. C:\ProgramData is supposed to be an all-user all-access location for just that purpose but that doesn't mean that things don't go wrong and some programs get write access denied. Running as admin can usually get around that but not always. This is starting to sound like a permissions issue, though there may be more to it that that.

Chris, if you can remember when you were downloading the sounds from Ring you would have seen the "Waiting for Internet screen" in HC Sim and the percent indicator in RPA counting up to 100%. When RPA finished downloading did you see the the "Copying Files" screen in HC Sim and the two percentage complete progress bars complete? If you did then HC Sim is working correctly in this regard and the files were copied to HC Sim. The fact they were not there later does indicates that HC Sim is unable to write it's in-memory copy of the storage file back to disk. That is not a HC Sim bug but a Windows issue.

That funky error screen, I've seen similar to that before. I think I remember some of the reasons but I'll have to check. I'll be back later today with some things to check.

- Tim

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2018, 02:09:40 AM »
Well one quick experiment later and I was able to crash HC Sim to a funky screen. Not the same screen and not doing the same thing as Chris but crash it with a funky screen none the less, by running HC Sim 2.05 with 1.31's screen files instead of 2.05 screen files.

Chris, just to check this off, which of the following Software Update screens does your HC Sim look like?

hc sim 131 software update.png
HC Sim 1.31 update screen

hc sim 205 software update.png
HC Sim 2.05 update screen

I'm still working on some other things to check.

- Tim

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2018, 03:59:10 AM »
I am running 2.05, I removed all earlier files so any 1.31 files should be gone. To be clear, this error only occurred when loading the 710 ULT file. I successfully loaded a photo and all other needed sounds (horn, bell, etc). Only the one file was a problem. Maybe I’m hitting some form of memory limit?

When loading to HC Sim it cycled through the percentage bars twice.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2018, 07:01:01 AM »
You think your running 2.05 but... Ok, you most likely are running all of 2.05, as you didn't pipe up and say "hey, the software update screen still looks like 1.31" but I had to ask, in Windows there is a thing called File and System Virtulisation in which if a program can not write to a system folder (like Program Files and apparently ProgramData too) Windows will redirect everything to a folder in which it can write to and use that forever after, even if you put newer files into the folder it was supposed to use in the first place. It was a long shot but 1.31's screen files could have still existed in that virtual folder and the 2.05 program could have been using them, even though it'd still be reporting it's version as 2.05.

I don't think your hitting the memory limit, unless you've got a whole lot loaded into the LM already. I've got one with two ULT prime mover files, one ULT horn and the generic prime mover, bell and horn that come pre installed loaded into it. From memory you get a not enough space error when trying to copy something bigger than the remaining space into an LM.

I've gotten the cannot connect error before when copying to an LM, and also tonight when copying an ULT prime mover. In both cases I just moved the CI-1 a bit closer and it all went fine next time. Didn't get a funky screen though.

It might be best to just get you the storage file ready-to-go just to rule out anything wrong with it though it'd be a large download at around 30 Megabytes.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2018, 07:14:12 AM »
... I just moved the CI-1 a bit closer and it all went fine next time.
- Tim

I don't own a CI-1 but it must have a very limited range. In the manual it specifically recommends moving the CI-1 to a central location relatively close to the layout, recommends using a USB cable to get the CI-1 away from the computer itself, and specifically calls out using other Ring products as repeaters. The fact that Tim chose to spell all this out in the manual means the CI-1 must have a rather short range. Sounds real similar to mice and keyboard USB transceivers.

Chris, given all the problems you are experiencing you may want to make sure you have the CI-1 very close to your LMs when operating/moving files/etc.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website