Author Topic: Beyond Frustrated with Railpro  (Read 16199 times)

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
Re: Beyond Frustrated with Railpro
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2018, 07:44:15 AM »
Well, I did have the laptop sitting in the yard a couple of feet from the loco.  But I can move it closer.

And to confirm Tim, the download screen matched the 2.05 screenshot, not the 1.31 you posted.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2018, 07:59:38 AM »
If you have on hand a USB cable use it to move the CI-1 away from the computer itself. (refer pg3 of the manual)
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2018, 08:22:12 AM »
It would be interesting to find out what the useful range of the CI-1 is. I have successfully used it to copy files to an LM over 10 feet away through a wall, but they were small files (pictures and light effects). Both times I got the cannot connect message was with copying large files like prime mover files (and tonight the CI-1 was only about 12 inches from the LM and the copying was about half way through). I guess the reason to have the CI-1 so close when copying is to have the best signal strength possible. While the power output of the CI-1 is probably decent I imagine it's not in the same league as the wireless router etc that would be used in a home.

Chris, thanks for the clarification. I'm still at a loss as to the funky screen when HC Sim crashed but I'm working on it. I'm still working on checking permissions as well for the HC Sim looses downloaded files etc problem. I don't have Win10 so I have to find out how to check folder permissions in Win10 first, it's probably different to other versions of Windows. Let us know how you go with the CI-1 closer to the LM when copying the 710 ULT engine file. Be aware that you might not be able to use the ULT engine without updating the LM's product program first.

- Tim

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2018, 08:26:58 AM »
Tim, I will report back tonight.  The LM3S is on version 2.07.  I have successfully used the FDL ULT file on this chip (since removed).  I do need to update the LM3S to 2.09 so I can use the ULT horn files.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »
I guess this wasn’t close enough...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/33511925@N05/5twE3R
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
The loco is sitting on powered rails, right? Can't see track under it in your photo.

BTW Don't set a laptop on powered train track. The invisible-to-the-naked-eye coatings applied to laptop/tablet/phone cases are electrically conductive (in a high resistance way) to protect the sensitive electronic innards from static electricity discharge. The company I work for makes the coatings. Our customer list includes component suppliers to virtually every brand device you have ever heard of. Not that sitting a laptop on train track is going to unleash hell's fury, it's just not a good idea to do so.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2018, 04:57:18 PM »
Agreed with what Alan said regarding laptops on track.  I've done that and it fails every time.  I typically will set it on a book on the track.

You absolutely need to send this to Tim Ring.  He needs to see that screen and what is going on here.  My guess is that a file somehow got corrupted and is wreaking havoc with your HC-Sim. 

I had a HC-2 that had something similar go wrong (screens were going haywire), and it was because I had been beta testing and some of the old beta code corrupted and could not be fixed by updating with new code.  I had to send the HC back for a complete wipe and factory reset.  All is well now.  In your situation you *should* be able to get a completely fresh install by fully deleting everything.  Not sure why this is still showing up.

-Kevin

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2018, 05:03:51 PM »
So I did more testing tonight. I was able to successfully load the 645 ULT file using the same arraignment. That suggests a file issue with the 710 ULT. Either something compatibility wise or a corrupted file.

I’ll try to put together an email for Ring.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »
So I did more testing tonight. I was able to successfully load the 645 ULT file using the same arraignment. That suggests a file issue with the 710 ULT. Either something compatibility wise or a corrupted file.

I’ll try to put together an email for Ring.

That's progress.  Interesting....I guess the 710 ULT may have gotten corrupted somehow during transfer?  I've never had that happen but I suppose it's possible.

Give Tim as much information as possible, including all the pictures you took.  He will likely ask for additional details to be sure he finds the source of the problem.  It'll get fixed.

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
So another discovery. I decided to try again (I’m bored tonight). As usual had to rediscover the LM3 and such. While waiting I fired up a DCC loco and started fiddling in the yard. Bonehead me picks a switch shorting out the system. What do I see on the computer, but the same error. The plot thickens...
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2018, 06:20:41 PM »
Dang, you just can't catch a break.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »
Dang, you just can't catch a break.

Break earned. So after the last discovery, I opted to try again. Ensuring the computer was not placed on the rails, I tried once more. Success!  So what must have happened was a transfer fault due to the placement of the computer. So, inadvertently it appears user error strikes again. On the plus side, I’ve got both of my current RP projects 100% programed so no more monkeying around for awhile.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2018, 07:26:37 PM »
Good to hear it!  Glad you got things working for now.

As a side note, I had a locomotive I was updating to 2.09 and it failed over and over again.  Close to the end of the upload "cannot connect" would come up and I'd have to start again.  What I eventually found out was that the locomotive didn't have enough space to allow the update and subsequent updating of files.  It didn't show "insufficient space" because it didn't account for the extra space needed to process the update.  Simply removing an unneeded sound did the trick.  Update worked the first time after that.

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2018, 07:28:27 PM »
That 2.09 update is still needed. But I can manage with out for now.

Now I need to finish the locomotive build.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
That's great news Chris. Before the 2.09 update we'll have to solve why HC Sim is loosing files and settings as product programs don't get saved locally to RPA, only to HC Sim (or the handheld if you had one of those) and with HC Sim loosing stuff when you close it (I presume it's still doing that) you'd have to keep the laptop on and HC Sim running all the way home from your Wi-Fi spot just to keep it in HC Sim!

Kevin, That's interesting if the update process works that way. It reminds me of when a member here could not get RPA to save their feature enable. Turned out there simply was not enough free space in RPA to save the file. Deleting some files did the trick but no useful information was returned by RPA to give indication that there was not enough free space.

- Tim