Author Topic: Scale Sound Systems speakers  (Read 7163 times)

KPack

• Conductor
Scale Sound Systems speakers
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:57:21 AM »
I installed a couple of Scale Sound Systems speakers in some locomotives yesterday and have some feedback.

Website here: https://www.scalesoundsystems.com/

I purchased 1 "Coeval" speaker for an Atlas 8-40CW (https://www.scalesoundsystems.com/product-page/atlas-master-dash-8-40c-1) and 1 "Rectify" speaker for a ScaleTrains ET44C4 (https://www.scalesoundsystems.com/product-page/scale-trains-sd40-2).

The Coeval speaker comes pre-wired with two speakers, and you can specify it as 16 Ohms (parallel) or 4 Ohms (series).  I chose 16 Ohms, as that's how I have all my home built dual speakers wired up.  The Rectify speaker is a single speaker rated at 8 Ohms.

The results:
-The Coeval speaker sounds significantly better than any other speaker I have tried.  You can hear the low rumble from the prime mover in a way that I've never heard from a model.  By far the best low frequency response I've heard.
-16 Ohm load is too quiet when used with Railpro.  I recommend the 4 Ohm version.
-Install is simple as can be.  A dab of CA glue and put it in place.  All their speakers are designed to fit without modification.  Solder the two wires to the LM speaker wires.
-The Rectify has volume but lacks the bass of the Coeval.

I think these speakers are a nice upgrade from traditional speakers, and the Coeval even sounds deeper than my locomotives with home-grown 4 speaker set ups.  They are expensive though, so that my deter some people.  Install is easy, though most are made to fit the factory speaker locations, which in general are lousy positions.  Most manufacturers put the stock speaker at the rear of the locomotive....far behind where the prime mover is and where the horn would be.  One of the reasons I've built my own speakers is so that I can have one in the front of the locomotive and one in the rear, effectively centering the sound on the exhaust stack and (in my case) horn location.  I'm kind of picky when it comes to that.  Some locomotives it won't matter on (GP-7 for example), but when you put the speaker in the rear of a ET44C4 you can easily tell that the sound comes from the wrong place.

Anyways, give them a try if you are curious.  Get the Coeval if you can, you'll like it.

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Scale Sound Systems speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 10:48:47 PM »
Thanks for the update Kevin. I have a bunch of the Bowser c636's and the difference in the video of them between the SSS co-eval and the stock speakers was amazing. I definitely think I'll be trying some soon.

- Tim

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 11:27:38 AM »
I finally went to order some Coeval speakers and see they're 'on-hold'. Bummer.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

Shirwin

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »
All the coeval speakers say "out of stock"
Anyone know what's going on? Is there a good alternative to these?

Shirwin

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »
FYI
"Shawn,

I am waiting on more drivers from the manufacturer. I don’t have a hard timeline. I hope to be back to full-production by February.

Thanks for your interest and patience!

jt burke
Scale Sound Systems"

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 03:55:31 PM »
That’s good news!
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
That's great information.  I will likely only go with the Coeval speakers due to the increased bass response.  As soon as he's back up and running I'll be ordering a few. 

I like how he has them built for specific locomotive models, but I hate how all the manufacturers put the speaker in the rear.  I'm going to try to find one that is a standard size that I can mount in the center of the long hood, and mount the Railpro module towards the rear.  Sound is so much better when it comes from where it is supposed to be.

-Kevin

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 08:36:31 AM »
The Coeval speakers are available for order beginning today. And no, this isn't an April Fool's joke.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
For those interested, here's a video I put together showing the difference between a stock speaker (which I thought sounded quite good) and a Scale Sound Systems speaker.

As you can tell, the difference is profound.  I didn't realize how much of the prime mover's sound was missing when playing through a standard speaker.  The locomotive now sounds and feels more alive.

The speaker is a Coeval 4 Ohm version.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 11:48:06 AM »
That is AMAZING!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 12:16:33 PM »
That is AMAZING!

This gives you a whole new appreciation for how nice Railpro's new sounds really are.  Compare this against Loksound or Soundtraxx's EMD 710G3C-T2 and it's night and day.  Railpro's GE 7FDL-16 Modern is even more impressive.....the Scale Sound Systems speakers allow you to hear the deep rumble and subtle sounds that other manufacturers lack.  Music to my ears!

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 04:09:14 PM »
My Co-Eval equipped MLW M636s blow my iPhone 4S speaker equipped C630Ms out of the water. These speakers are very impressive.

JT is very quick to respond to inquiries, and if you get a chance to read all his white papers on his website, you'll see he's put an ton of work into providing the model RR fraternity with mind-blowing speakers!

Now to win the lottery to be able to purchase all the speakers I need.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 04:31:33 PM »
WOW! The difference is night and day. Bet it sounds even better in person.

Operating a railroad with exclusively 1950's FM opposed piston road power, sadly sound is not an option. That is unless Tim can sneak onto an old nuclear sub with his recorder.  :D
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
My Co-Eval equipped MLW M636s blow my iPhone 4S speaker equipped C630Ms out of the water. These speakers are very impressive.

JT is very quick to respond to inquiries, and if you get a chance to read all his white papers on his website, you'll see he's put an ton of work into providing the model RR fraternity with mind-blowing speakers!

Now to win the lottery to be able to purchase all the speakers I need.

He is very responsive.  Shipping was fast and the orders I've placed have all been perfect.  I highly recommend working with him.  He had a hiccup there for a while when his supply of speakers dried up, and he had to go looking for a comparable speaker that had the same qualities.  Glad he found some!

WOW! The difference is night and day. Bet it sounds even better in person.

Operating a railroad with exclusively 1950's FM opposed piston road power, sadly sound is not an option. That is unless Tim can sneak onto an old nuclear sub with his recorder.  :D

It does sound better in person.  There is only so much that my non-professional mic can pick up, and I didn't do any audio editing besides volume gain.  In person the sound is a bit deeper and you can really tell the difference between the high's and low's.  I can tell that there are two parts of the prime mover making sound....the deeper sound of the prime mover itself, and the higher pitched turbo whine.  These sounds are completely distinct with the S3 (Scale Sound Systems) speaker and they have totally different rhythms and cadences.....I wish I could explain that better.  It's remarkable to listen to.  It's actually kind of fun to just sit and listen to the locomotives idle now.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 05:59:35 PM »
A lot more depth from those speakers. Thanks for the comparison, Kevin.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.