Author Topic: Problem With Chuff Sound on Version 2.02 of LM-2S Software  (Read 2673 times)

MtRR75

• Conductor
Problem With Chuff Sound on Version 2.02 of LM-2S Software
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:20:24 PM »
I have two RailPro steam locomotives with LM-2S modules installed.  Prior to the recent software upgrade they were running version 1.05 of the LM-2S software.  One runs the Light Steam sound.  The other runs the Heavy Steam sound.  Both locos were older DC locos that were upgraded to RailPro by Yankee Dabbler.  For both locos, I had adjusted the Chuff Rate before the upgrade, to give me the closest match of the chuff sounds with the wheel revolutions.  One was set at 79%.  The other was set at 142%.

Recently, I upgraded my RailPro installer to the new version.
Then I upgraded my HC-2 to version 2.02 of the HC-2 software.
Then I upgraded these two locos to version 2.02 of the LM-2S software.

Now I have a problem with the chuff sounds that was not present before these upgrades.

For the loco that was set at 79%, when I gradually increased the loco speed, the sound would SUDDENLY CUT THE CHUFF RATE IN ABOUT HALF for a second or two, then go back to the correct chuff rate.  When I continually increased or decreased the loco speed, this slow, altered chuff rate was almost, but no quite constant – until I stopped turning up the throttle .

For the loco that was set at 142 %, when I gradually increased the loco speed, the sound would SUDDENLY ABOUT DOUBLE IN SPEED for a second or two, then go back to the correct chuff rate.  When I continually increased or decreased the loco speed, this fast, altered chuff rate was almost, but no quite constant – until I stopped turning up the throttle.

It appears that the differences between the behavior of the two locos is not due to the locos themselves or to the type of engine sound used (heavy vs. light).  I say this because, I tried various chuff rate settings on both locos.  Whenever the chuff rate is set to 50 % (on either loco), I get the slower chuffs interrupting the smooth acceleration or deceleration.  On the other hand, whenever the chuff rate was set to 150% (on either loco), I get the faster chuffs interrupting the smooth acceleration or deceleration.

Whenever, I set the chuff rate to 100% (on either loco), the problem goes away.  Also, the closer the chuff rate setting is from 100%, the less pronounced these sudden changes are.

Has anybody else seen this behavior on LM-2S modules running the new software?

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Problem With Chuff Sound on Version 2.02 of LM-2S Software
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 07:16:26 AM »
It sounds like there is a bug in the new software with regard to how the steam sounds are implemented.

One question: did you enable the load or brake options? These would not be compatible with the steam sounds.

If you did enable either of these options, remove them and try again.
If you did not enable these, I think you should contact Ring Engineering and report the issue.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:20:38 AM »
I have been experiencing a similar problem. I can't explain it, but I will be mentioning it to Tim. It takes a while to iron out the kinks in a new software release. In this case, there were several new releases at the same time, which makes it all the more difficult to troubleshoot. Although the other beta testers did a great job helping to get the bugs out of the new software, most of them are strictly diesel guys (I wonder why that is?  ;D).

Tim has been very busy, but if and when this issue gets resolved, I'll come back to this thread with an answer.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 12:10:17 PM »
One question: did you enable the load or brake options? These would not be compatible with the steam sounds.

I don't see where the load and brake options are -- which may be by design, since I have installed only steam drivers (I have no diesels).  The only new screens that I got from the upgrade are (1) a speed table, and (2) a DCC option page.  Neither of these do me any good, since I have no DCC systems or locos.

I do have a third RailPro loco, which has an LM-3S in it.  I have not upgraded its software, yet.  I want to find the time to upgrade and test that loco before I contact Ring Engineering.  It would be helpful to know whether or not the LM-3S has the same problem.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
The load and brake options would be added by configuring the buttons for them just like you configure any of the other buttons on the bottom rows of the control screen.

Suffice to say you have not configured them.

I would go ahead and contact Ring about the issue. The sooner he knows about it, the sooner it's getting resolved.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 03:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies

IT turns out that my LM-3S loco has the same basic problem, but there are some differences -- not worth detailing here.

I have emailed Ring Engineering

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »
Old topic I know but relevant. My Mantua 2-6-6-2 Steamer just stopped playing the chuff sound today when it was good yesterday. LM3S module with v2.09 software and Steam Light sound file loaded. It worked perfect yesterday but today when I started it up only the idle steam sound is playing and when moving the chuff never starts. All other functions work perfect. I removed the steam light file and reloaded with no luck. I deleted the file off my PC and downloaded it again and then loaded it to the module and added it using the steam loco symbol and still no change...just idle steam sound. Any ideas?

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 09:45:23 AM »
I and the person who started this thread.  Your problem seems to be different than the problem that I had, so I can't help you.

However, I noticed that I never posted the fix for my initial problem.  It turned out that I had set the acceleration and deceleration to their lowest values (0.1%).  Tim Ring told me to put them back to their default values (2.5%).  That solved my problem.

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 12:35:17 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I never adjusted the accel/decel rates but hit reset to factory defaults anyway and it didn't fix the problem. Guess I need to ask Ring Eng about this one.