Author Topic: HC-2b charger  (Read 1972 times)

faithie999

• Conductor
HC-2b charger
« on: December 08, 2018, 03:37:09 PM »
I just received my HC-2b.  I have read several places that the Ring-supplied charger is higher-power than the "normal" wall wart charger, and that the USB to mini-USB cable has larger-gauge wires to reflect the higher current flow of the charger.

however, when I read the label on the charger it is 5v (of course), 1.0 amp.  this is a plain-old charger, not even the 10watt charger that one would need to charge an iPad.

not complaining, just wondering why Ring takes care to note about the higher-power charger and beefed-up cable.

thanks

ken

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: HC-2b charger
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »
People have reported issues with charging when using a "non-ring" cable. The charger however, seems to be fairly standard.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 03:43:38 PM »
wonder if they swap the pinout on their cable? 

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 07:22:29 PM »
wonder if they swap the pinout on their cable? 
Nope. If they did you wouldn't be able to connect the HC to your PC, and I wouldn't be able to charge my HC.

I don't use the PA-3 to charge my HC (no US type mains sockets around here), I use my PC using one of the cables shown in this thread. https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,616.0.html. Works great.

There is merit behind what TR is telling us about the cable, he's not lying in that regard, USB cables designed for charging devices have larger conductors on the power pair, your everyday USB cable does not. This does not mean that an everyday USB cable won't work it's just a lot less likely. USB chargers made by a manufacturer for their own product are excluded from the above comment, they've usually been engineered by the manufacturer specifically to match their products and not as a generic supply like the PA-3 is.

- Tim

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 05:21:48 AM »
got it.  thanks.

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:35:44 AM »
well, since I'm a man, and an engineer, I don't need no stinkin' manuals!!  hahaha

I opened my upgraded HC-2b, pressed the power button, got to the main screen, and plugged the RE-supplied wall wart and USB cable in.  since there was no visible sign of charging on the main screen, I of course assumed that either the wall wart or cable was bad (of course the odds of that are about zero).

in the pursuit of science, I tried a few other approaches.  just by chance I tried all the following with the HC powered off:   a Blackberry charger works (altho it is 700 ma not 1a).  a plain old 1a usb charger works with the RE cable.  the RE charger works with a plain 'ol usb cable (although I acknowledge that all plain 'ol usb cables are created differently).  and of course the RE charger works with the RE cable--IF I HAD READ THE MANUAL and learned that the HC needs to be powered off before plugging the charger in, then the charging screen appears.

so this afternoon while watching the hapless Colts get clubbed by the Titans I'll read the HC manual and the RPA manual.

ken