Author Topic: New Scale Trains and BLI loco's stopping at intervals  (Read 1814 times)

Blueleader

• Fireman
New Scale Trains and BLI loco's stopping at intervals
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:34:34 PM »
Well it's been about 5 months but I'm back at railroading again. Hope everybody had a great summer. Well here is the problem:  Two of my loco's that are practically new, a BLI Centipede and a Scale Trains Rivet Counter ET44, were running good over last winter but were run very little... And now both are stopping at almost exact intervals and then start back up themselves. I had the ET44 MU'd with another ET44 Scale Trains loco with the problem loco out front when the problem began. I unlinked and tested each ET44 seperately and the bad one continued the odd stopping while the good one runs like a dream...Awesome job Scale trains! I have not received any alerts from the HC for either problem loco. Now I know the BLI Centipede with so many axles can be problematic but I was only running it on flat track that it had never stopped on before. I did add extra power feeds to the layout from the main power supply but tested them for continuity/polarity before turning on the power and when I did the supply never gave any indications of shorts. I have 3 other loco's with RP that I tested and they ran the whole layout including the helix with no problems. I kept a close eye on the power levels and they have never been better since running the extra feeds. Also watched temps on the problem loco's and both stayed perfectly cool. I pulled the shell on the ET44 and visual inspection doesn't give me a clue to the problem...I used the standard heat resistant tape to secure everything and it's still right where I put it. I also checked the track and cleaned it but it didn't make any difference. I searched but couldn't find this problem as a topic. BTW I'm running LM3S modules.
Any suggestions appreciated!
Eric
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:46:38 PM by Blueleader »

Blueleader

• Fireman
Re: New Scale Trains and BLI loco's stopping at intervals
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 04:55:26 PM »
I removed tape and started tugging at each heat shrink wrapped soldered wire. I found that one of the power pick up wires had a broken solder joint inside the wrap, the wrap did not shrink enough to hold it. I also found that another power pick up wire from factory had a small exposed piece of wire at the point it went into the metal frame, just out of easy view of course...So I taped it up. And that did the trick.

Lesson one: Make sure you have a very good temp control soldering iron station to work on these very small wires
Lesson two: Make sure your heat shrink wrap actually shrinks enough to get a solid grip on the wire
Lesson three: Give the factory wiring a very close examination before you start wiring RP

Back to track work and updating Rivarossi Heavyweight passenger cars

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 05:32:18 PM »
Good for you for finding the problems. Thanks for the tips.  :)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »
I've had everything from P2K's to Broadway Limiteds have issues with factory wiring. When I take one apart for a RailPro install I remove all factory wiring from the truck pickups and to the motor and go at it with my own. I've had too many instances of doing a 'full install' only to have a wire crap out on me and have to disassemble a motor again. 
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »
Not a bad idea at all. After what I found I will definitely inspect factory wiring very closely and if any doubt I will be replacing it. 

I've had everything from P2K's to Broadway Limiteds have issues with factory wiring. When I take one apart for a RailPro install I remove all factory wiring from the truck pickups and to the motor and go at it with my own. I've had too many instances of doing a 'full install' only to have a wire crap out on me and have to disassemble a motor again.