Author Topic: New RE product: CB-1 Circuit Breaker  (Read 1859 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
New RE product: CB-1 Circuit Breaker
« on: December 15, 2018, 06:52:02 AM »
I don't know when this went up on RE's website but they've added a new product; the CB-1 Circuit Breaker.

https://www.ringengineering.com/CB-1.htm

While not as cheap as building your own like Alan did it does contain a few more bits (like flashing status lights like the RP power supplies) than a simple homemade breaker, and you don't have to actually make it yourself.

I still don't understand while the small wire gauge though...

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: New RE product: CB-1 Circuit Breaker
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 07:08:15 AM »
I check the What's New page daily and it only showed up today. This thing has been floating around for some time after Lee convinced Tim to create it for use on his layout.

I have it listed on my website, but I don't have it in stock yet.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 08:27:04 AM »

I still don't understand while the small wire gauge though...

- Tim

Largest AWG that will fit into the terminal series Ring uses on everything. Through email a long time ago I practically begged him to standardize to a terminal series that will accept 14, preferably 12.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 09:45:19 AM »
Largest AWG that will fit into the terminal series Ring uses on everything.

I realise that. I should have pondered my question as "I still don't understand the small terminals though...". I too would like them to be capable of 12AWG.

It would also be nice to see some specs on the thing as well, like what's it trip current for starters!

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »
Largest AWG that will fit into the terminal series Ring uses on everything.

I realise that. I should have pondered my question as "I still don't understand the small terminals though...". I too would like them to be capable of 12AWG.

It would also be nice to see some specs on the thing as well, like what's it trip current for starters!

- Tim

Agreed. Ring has always been tight lipped on specifications for all products. Coming from the electronics world where data sheets provide every specification you could ever want, it is frustrating. He may be doing it to keep the appearance of being simple to use.

One possible reason for the small terminals may simply be physical size. Connectors of the style used tend to increase in physical size in a stair step manner. To move to the next step change terminal may increase the physical size substantially.

Trip current likely matches (with faster detect time) the PWR-56 or is ever so slightly lower than the PWR-56. Note he makes no mention of protecting a block from full power supply current. He positions the product only as a way to split into blocks. Given the PWR-56 is not an especially high output power supply, this makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:43:42 AM by Alan »
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro