Author Topic: AR-1 installation  (Read 1922 times)

ironraptor

• Fireman
AR-1 installation
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:32:11 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm starting this new year off rough already. I was hooking up my AR-1 and ran across a snag. I hooked it up just as the instructions said, and got a green flashing light while it powered up, then solid when it was ready. I then did the coin test and the AR-1 went dead. Not red, not red flashing or orange....the light is dark and unpowered. I took my meter to it and I got 14v going in, but nothing on the reversing section. This section was previously powered by a DPDT so I know my insulating gaps aren't shorting, (plus there's styrene to fill the gap). Here's what I've tried so far:

I've tried taking the power leads out for a few minutes to let it reset itself.

Checked my power leads going in with a meter and got a steady 14V.

Removed all engines from the track.

Turned power off to the power station and back on using the controller.

Unplugged the layout and plugged back in.

With the AR-1 power leads unplugged I get 14.46V exact on my track voltage, with the leads in, the track power is 1.36V with 0v on my reversing section no matter what the wire configuration, I'm suspecting I got a dud of a AR-1 that is shorting my layout but if I'm missing some reset switch or something simple, please let me know. From my understanding in the AR-1 manual it should be self resetting.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: AR-1 installation
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:03:35 PM »
Sounds like a Bad AR-1 to me. I suggest calling Ring Engineering to troubleshoot this and possibly arrange a replacement.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

ironraptor

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:15:36 PM »
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. It was the one I bought from you a month or so ago. Hopefully it's not a bad batch. I'll contact em.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
Let us (the RPUG) know how it works out!

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

ironraptor

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 06:52:59 PM »
I sent an email and haven't gotten a response back. Is it usual for some lag time on his support email? I emailed him last Thursday night so I figured by this evening I would have had some response.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 08:19:15 PM »
"I suggest calling Ring Engineering"

In my experience, the results are much better if you pick up the phone.

ironraptor

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »
I had planned to. Just didn't want to bombard the guy. I'll call them tomorrow, thank you.

ironraptor

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 12:22:12 AM »
Update. I headed down to the railroad tonight and decided to just try everything all over again since the layout sat for the last 4 days. Now it's magically working. Wire leads plugged in like before to the correct polarity and everything but it is working and reversing as it should. We'll chalk this up to some decent Gremlins and bit of good karma. Case closed!