Author Topic: Wanted: One CGNAT user...  (Read 3557 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Wanted: One CGNAT user...
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:35:51 AM »
Wanted: One CGNat user who would like to test a CGNat workaround.

As Ring is being somewhat slow on fixing the CGNat issue I'm working on a potential workaround, which so far in my testing has worked very well. As I don't have the CGNat issue myself I need a user with the issue who would like to test the workaround.

To be the chosen tester:
  • You need to be able to run the workaround software as administrator.
  • You should know how to turn off / disable your antivirus if needed (the software could trigger a "false positive" for dangerous behavior).
  • You will need to be available at a time that suits me to run the test (sorry, that's just how it is). I can not leave the proxy/relay that's used for the workaround running continuously while absent / asleep etc and for reasons I have not worked out yet the proxy/relay needs to be reset each time a RP program establishes a new connection to it.

My times would be Saturday and Sunday mid afternoon to mid evening (that's about 3pm to about 8pm).

If you can be available at a specific time during those times (I won't just sit around and wait for you to show up at "sometime") I'd love to hear from you. For your reference US time zone conversion below.
  • EST is 16 hours behind me.
  • CST is 17 hours behind me.
  • MST is 18 hours behind me.
  • PST is 19 hours behind me.

If this post sounds like a horrible employment advertisment, it's not meant to.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Wanted: One CGNAT user...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »
What's the pay and how's the medical plan?   :P
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 01:29:17 PM »
 What kind of insect is a C gnat? I am familiar with several kinds of these pests but have never run into this one.
Cecil
ATSF

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:18:31 PM »
What kind of insect is a C gnat? I am familiar with several kinds of these pests but have never run into this one.

Not C Gnat, CGNAT - Carrier Grade Network Address Translation, commonly known as NAT444 and also Large Scale Network Address Translation (LSN), a type of networking used by some Internet Service Providers (getting to be more and more) to connect their subscribers to the Internet that breaks Ring's software due to how he's programmed his software and server resulting in RailPro software being unable to receive replies from his server.

What's the pay and how's the medical plan?   :P

Alan, the pay is 0.01% of the profit I make by giving my time and software away for free.  ;) Medical plan is get your own insurance if you want it.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »

It's the opposite of a gnat you can't see.  ;D ;D ;D
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 07:38:25 PM »
Tim from Oz, I had read your original post so it was just too great an opportunity to pull your leg. Hope I didn’t offend you.
Cecil
ATSF

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 06:24:01 AM »
Tim,

I started the " problem with installation" thread and am paying an extra charge to my ISP to connect to Railpro. I live in the central time zone in the US, I assume you are in Australia? . What would be involved with testing your work around? 

Not sure how long it will be before TR makes changes to his server, so this may be a way for me to avoid the extra money to my ISP.  I look forward to hearing from you

Jim 

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 07:17:17 AM »
Hi Jim,

You are correct about my location. Thanks for the offer to test the workaround, I appreciate it but you currently have a public IP address which means testing it won't give an accurate indication if it works properly or not and I don't want you to give up (stop paying for) your public IP address before we know it all works; and I don't think asking your ISP to put you back on CGNAT for a day or two so you can test is an ideal situation for you.

While I'm sure it all works correctly to test properly I need someone with a CGNAT connection (that includes satellite and hotspot connections) and unfortunately a specific time to test (I still have to work out how to make the proxy server work without me having to reset it manually for each new RP connection. Unfortunately I don't have a "server guy" I can talk to about such things).

Still, if you'd still would like to test it anyway we can try and set something up. You'd need to download (no link yet) and run the trainer program I have written while running the RP software; while I sit here ready to reset the proxy server if it needs to be :( while you test.

- Tim

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 06:55:06 AM »
Tim,

Perhaps another user would be better to test then, if no one comes forward, let me know and we can see if something can be worked out.  Thanks for your interest in fixing this issue.

Jim

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 06:14:02 AM »
Jim,

Please don't think I'm trying to brush you off or anything like that, nothing could be further from the truth. It's just that there's one piece of hard data for the workaround that I can not get when the users connection has a public IP address, I need an actual CGNAT connection to get that piece of data that will tell me if it all works or not. I know it all works correctly for the installers but for RPA I just don't know. Based on previous events I don't think I should write anything technical about the workaround here but it'd sure be easy for you to understand why if I could.

On another note, I've gotten the proxy working without me having to reset it for each new RP connection now.

- Tim

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 08:52:16 AM »
Tim,

No, I'm not offended in any way.  I wish I had your computer skills!

Jim