Author Topic: Recommended small sugar cube speaker for HO locomotive?  (Read 1827 times)

IDRick

• Fireman
Recommended small sugar cube speaker for HO locomotive?
« on: March 07, 2019, 10:04:21 PM »
Wow, there's many different choices of sugar cubes...  Can anyone recommend a good brand and enclosure?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Recommended small sugar cube speaker for HO locomotive?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 10:59:55 PM »
I don't have any of these yet but all reports I've heard about them are good.

www.scalesoundsystems.com

The enclosures are designed for specific models, so it there's a enclosure already designed for your specific model then this is by far the easiest path to take instead of trying to shoehorn something generic in or build your own enclosure. The rectify series are single speaker and the co-eval series are dual speaker. I certainly plan on getting some to try out.

Other than that I've not really got anything to offer you, Kevin (KPack) here had a favorite sugar cube speaker but they are no longer in production, and the speaker's I've used for testing you won't find in the US as far as I know.

- Tim

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:43:21 AM »
I highly recommend Scale Sound Systems. J.T. has a wide selection of various enclosures, as well as just the sugar cubes. All of them sound great and he's willing to provide suggestions if you particular model is not listed.

His order desk will be open again on Thursday next week as he was awaiting some supplies.

I use the CoEval speakers wherever they are available - choose the 4 ohm version to work best with RailPro. Even if a CoEval version is not listed, just ask and he'll let you know if he can do a CoEval version.

I've watched a video J.T. provided of a SW1 install with one of his sugar cubes and it sounded just like a CoEval install.

Drop him a line and he'll help you out.

I have no financial connection with Scale Sound Systems, I'm just a very satisfied customer!
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

IDRick

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »
Thanks, I'll give them a call!  All my locos are 20 yrs old so it is doubtful that he has a drop speaker but may have some good suggestions/recommendations.  I'd like to avoid any milling.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:48:01 PM by IDRick »