Author Topic: Best engine for a RailPro install?  (Read 1926 times)

Pequeajim

• Fireman
Best engine for a RailPro install?
« on: March 09, 2019, 06:22:01 PM »
In your opinion, who makes the best diesel in ho scale with lots of room in the shell?

In other words, what engine is the best quality with lots of room.  I've done a Bachmann, Proto 2000 and a Athern.  Oh yeah, I model the PRR.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Best engine for a RailPro install?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 06:30:21 PM »
Installing sound, and even LM modules can be challenging. Some Atlas diesels have speaker mounts, which make it much easier to do installs. Any steamer with a large tender has lots of room for a module, speaker and keep-alive if necessary.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Pequeajim

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 04:41:02 AM »
Some of the Bachmann diesel engines also have the speaker mount built into the fuel tanks on the bottom which makes life easier.  I have a limited choice in motive power since I'm doing diesels used by the Pennsylvania RR at the end of their existence.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »
I have also found some BLI or MTH locomotives that are DCC/sound ready. Makes for an easier installation. They are good runners. The problem is that they are pretty expensive if purchased new from a dealer. You can sometimes get a good buy on a new, discounted one on Ebay. Now and then Model Train Stuff will also have pretty good sales.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:07:23 AM by nodcc4me »
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.