Author Topic: RailPro User Facebook Page  (Read 4751 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
RailPro User Facebook Page
« on: April 20, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »
I've messaged Campbell and voiced my concerns to him. I'm sharing my concerns here for additional input and perhaps differing opinions.

I flat out don't like the Facebook page. The posts and comments there are sometimes in lieu of or duplicates of posts here. They also aren't categorized nor easily searchable. There also already appears to be a division among the group with another member creating a second RailPro user map. It's not that anyone doesn't have the right to do such but both maps are now incomplete with only partial data.

The split among the two platforms already reminds me of the different Rock Island Railroad groups. Too many people have tried to create 'the' Rock Island group and you have to post and follow 4-6 different groups with duplicates, partial replies, etc. It's a mess and disorganization at its worst.

The original RPUG was hosted on yahoo! groups and was started by me. When Bill approached me about moving to an actual forum I was fully supportive of that effort and thrilled that we were upgrading. As such, following the import of conversations from yahoo! that group was shutdown to bring everything under this roof. We seem to be going backwards by now branching out. It is my feeling that any other platform should be read only and serve as a redirect to this forum so that we can keep all the RailPro users together.

The opinions of the rest of you are solicited.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

atsfguy

• Conductor
Re: RailPro User Facebook Page
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 05:18:00 PM »
 I agree that is is bad to have two websites purporting to be THE Railpro group. The other fellow should have selected a different title for his site since he followed you.
 I dislike facebook and will not go to the website but that that is just my preference. I like this group and will remain part of it until it ends.
Cecil
ATSF

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 07:16:55 PM »
Facebook is a very large social mass. People there are talking about RailPro and it makes sense to me that there is a group there. Many people on facebook do not use other forums. It works for them and is accessible from the devices that they use to navigate "the internets" (as we call it in my house).

It is unfortunate that this kind of thing results in splintered communities, and I know that was not Campbell's intention when he created the group. I have followed the group but have not participated very actively.

I think "it is what it is." We can't really control how people choose to interact. Many people who are on facebook will not come here and vice versa. That is ok.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 10:35:56 PM »
 For what it is worth, this is home to me and rightly so as I have gained a lot of info from many members here on RPUG.
No beating up on members, I don't think there has been much in the way of disagreements either?. So here I reside now and until the final bell rings, hopefully not too so, not too soon... The old fardt in Yuma AZ

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 08:28:56 AM »
Like Bill said I believe there are many who use Facebook and not forums, and others (like myself) that use forums and do not have a Facebook account.  If questions regarding Railpro are coming up on Facebook, then it makes sense to have a Railpro user presence on there to answer the questions and promote Railpro. 

Facebook is not, like Jacob said, a great place to use for reference as it is not organized nor easily searchable, so I feel that it would be wise to direct Facebook users to the forum to aid in answering their questions.  I do this on various model railroad forums.....answer the question, then direct them to the forum for more information.

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
I voiced my concern to Bill right after Campbell made his Facebook post. It might just be me but I saw the post as I see every post that puts forward a new group to an existing group: "hey, I've got an alternate group on the exact same thing so come come on over". Even though Campbell said his intention was not to take away from this group and I give him the benefit of the doubt, most times such splintering is because someone is not happy that they don't own the group so don't get to make the rules, or that "their way is the correct and only way so I'll start my own group". Jacob would be familiar with the second thought process a-la Free-mo. Again, I'm not saying this is Campbell at all but just the way I see these things after 23 years on the 'net and seeing it happen for those exact reasons.

I do agree with what Kevin said about direction. Campbell directed people here to his Facebook group. Has Campbell or anyone else ever directed from the Facebook group to here? I think you can deduct from that question I don't do social engineering Facebook so this group is where I live.

As for that second map, if someones adding people to a map without their permission that's a pretty despicable act, however well intended and if anyone added me to a map without me saying yes then they'd certainly cop a mouthful.

If the cool kids only want to use Facebook and not this forum as well then that's their loss I suppose. Facebook is not a discussion platform, it's a "post what I had for breakfast so my friends can make comments platform". This forum is not only a proper discussion platform but also importantly a resource platform. Certainly anything I make (and I've made a few tools so far) will only ever be hosted and supported here.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 10:17:37 AM »
The description for the facebook group reads as follows:

This is an unofficial Facebook group for users of the Ring Engineering RailPro DCC system. It is in no way associated with Ring Engineering "Railpro" systems. It is to be used for the purpose of showing off their RP equipment in photos and running. If you have technical questions please refer them to the Rail Pro Users Group https://rpug.pdc.ca/
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 10:21:43 AM »

I don't do FB at all, nor any other social venues. I do frequent a few forums for information on different topics. It was inevitable that someone would kick up a new RP discussion on FB, because from what I hear, they discuss everything, including what they wear every day.  :o I do agree with Tim, in that Campbell should promote this website if he isn't doing so already, and adding names to a map is a no-no without permission.
Edit: I see Bill just posted Campbell's disclaimer.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »

This is an unofficial Facebook group for users of the Ring Engineering RailPro DCC system. It is in no way associated with Ring Engineering "Railpro" systems. It is to be used for the purpose of showing off their RP equipment in photos and running. If you have technical questions please refer them to the Rail Pro Users Group https://rpug.pdc.ca/

I want to say that that was added in the last few hours.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 09:26:46 PM »

I want to say that that was added in the last few hours.

If so, then that's great.  I do think Facebook has its place and there are a LOT of model railroad enthusiasts on it.  Lots of discussion takes place on there.  Providing a place for Facebook users to get in touch with Railpro is great, then direct them to the forum and Ring's website for in-depth information and questions.

I'm sure that Campbell's intent in starting the Facebook group was always with the best of intentions.  He has been vocal in his support of Railpro on various forums and even on Ken Patterson's "What's Neat This Week" podcast.  I'm glad he has been out there promoting Railpro and answering questions.  The disclaimer now on the Facebook group is great....it will help prevent splintering of the core Railpro users.  It provides a place for Facebook users to land, then directs them to where the knowledge base is kept and stored.  This forum has a lot of information that has been gathered over years and with lots of combined experience and knowledge.

Thanks Bill for hosting this forum.  Thanks Jacob for the original Yahoo group.  Thanks Campbell for working to reach out to other users.  And thanks to all the wonderfully helpful people on this forum that have helped improve Railpro and improved the user experience for many.

-Kevin

craig3

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 12:26:23 PM »
I'm not a huge Facebook guy either, but I do belong to a few special MR groups, mostly for a couple nice large layouts, scenery, weathering, etc.  I am always surprised at the number of views our local model railroad club gets when we use Facebook to post an upcoming event.  Its a big machine and it helps get the word out.  I could easily see where a new Railpro convert would find the Facebook page before he/she would find our forum.

There is a way to "pin" a post so its always at the top of the Facebook page when any opens it up.  For example- look at Mike Deverell's layout Facebook page and his trackplan is permanently at the top.  If Campbell can pin his post referring to our forum so its always the top post it would be helpful.  Otherwise it just gets shoved further and further down the pages as time goes by.

Craig

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »
I frequent the Facebook group more than the forum because of ease of access.  I use FB a fair bit, so the posts on the Facebook group appear in my news feed.  To come to the forum requires deliberate effort.  I think both have their uses, and both have value, as many people utilize the web in differnet ways.  When discussing Railpro, either online or in person, I try to direct people both. 
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 03:48:07 PM »
I frequent the Facebook group more than the forum because of ease of access.  I use FB a fair bit, so the posts on the Facebook group appear in my news feed.  To come to the forum requires deliberate effort.  I think both have their uses, and both have value, as many people utilize the web in differnet ways.  When discussing Railpro, either online or in person, I try to direct people both.

In case you don't know, the Notify button (by section or topic) will send you an email when a post is made. It's not exactly a feed but it is more efficient than random popping in to see what's new.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 06:45:41 AM »

In case you don't know, the Notify button (by section or topic) will send you an email when a post is made. It's not exactly a feed but it is more efficient than random popping in to see what's new.

Wasn't aware of that feature, I'll check it out.  Thanks!
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 03:01:04 PM »
To date I still haven't been able to successfully get in touch with whoever is running the other RailPro users map. I was going to attempt to merge the two but the link is bad and no one will reply. Of all the other platforms I absolutely loath Facebook.

Edit: and now the link redirects back to my map. Does anyone know John Tews? He isn't answering posts or messages on FB.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 03:03:07 PM by TwinStar »
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org