Author Topic: RailPro Assistant Installation problems.  (Read 1444 times)

DavidMcC

• Fireman
RailPro Assistant Installation problems.
« on: May 26, 2019, 01:35:17 PM »
I am trying to install the Assistant Program on a networked machine running Windows 10

We have ESET NOD32 Antivirus installed and run the standard Windows 10 firewall stuff.

The install program can not pull files from the Ring Engineering site so the install fails.

I have the program on whichever "Safe" and "Exclude" lists I can find in both the ESET and Firewall programs.

Does anyone here have a suggestion on how to get this up and running?

Thanks!

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: RailPro Assistant Installation problems.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »
The best ting to do is to call Ring Engineering and walk through it with Tim.
If you do call RE, please let us know what steps were taken to solve the issue.

Just for curiosity, what kind of internet connection are you using?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: RailPro Assistant Installation problems.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 09:52:23 AM »
I bet I know what wrong, and from your last line I think you suspect it too Bill.

David,

By all means give Tim Ring a call as suggested by Bill however if your absolutely sure you've allowed the installer access to the internet through the firewall, set NOD32 to allow the installer to do whatever it wanted and were also running the installer as Administrator (Right click, Run as Administrator) then it's highly possible you suffer from the CGNAT problem. We can test for that problem if you want to. Simply download the UDP Test tool here at RPUG (https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,706.0.html) and run the tests. Read the linked posts on the UDP Test tool page on Getting to know the software and Running tests to familiarise yourself with the tool and how it operates.

If you do have the CGNAT problem then not a whole lot can be done about it that isn't a pain in the you know what. You'll basically have two choices; wait for Tim Ring to fix the issue (it's on his end) which he's apparently going to do "sometime" this year, or ask (and probably pay for) a public IP address from your ISP. A workaround was written that tested well but it got shelved due to a combination of lack of interest from users with the problem and the amount of work required to finish it.

- Tim (not from Ring Engineering!)