RailPro > RailPro Software Updates

EMD 567-16 ULT Prime mover available

<< < (2/5) > >>

BruceRogers:
Kevin, That's correct the microphone is up by the exhausts. It might be possible to move it further away so that it doesn't override the whine. I might try that first.

Tom:
I just installed the new 567-16 ULT and compared it to the old 567.  Now, my recollection as to what a 567 actually sounded like is long gone, but the 567-16 ULT seems to be higher pitched, almost tinny, and less throaty than the old 567.  Hope it is reasonably correct as it sounds nice.

KPack:

--- Quote from: Tom on August 01, 2019, 05:02:36 PM ---I just installed the new 567-16 ULT and compared it to the old 567.  Now, my recollection as to what a 567 actually sounded like is long gone, but the 567-16 ULT seems to be higher pitched, almost tinny, and less throaty than the old 567.  Hope it is reasonably correct as it sounds nice.

--- End quote ---
I agree with your assessment, it is higher and does not play a lot of the lower notes.  It is accurate though....it was recorded right from a prototype through all the notches.  The problem was the location of the recording equipment as was discussed in this thread.  The exhaust sound drowned out the prime mover.  Bruce is working on getting another recording with the mic placed in a different location that will allow more of the prime mover to be recorded.

-Kevin

Juxen:
I'm curious as to what sort of equipment was used in the recording of these locos?

I used to work at (and still have contacts with) a shortline railroad in the Midwest. It has the following (operational):

SW1200
SW1200RS
GP8
GP9
MP15AC
GP40-2
SD40-2

Don't know if that'd be any help for recordings, but the owner of the railroad likes to go out of his way to help the railfans.

KPack:

--- Quote from: Juxen on August 02, 2019, 11:43:07 AM ---I'm curious as to what sort of equipment was used in the recording of these locos?

I used to work at (and still have contacts with) a shortline railroad in the Midwest. It has the following (operational):

SW1200
SW1200RS
GP8
GP9
MP15AC
GP40-2
SD40-2

Don't know if that'd be any help for recordings, but the owner of the railroad likes to go out of his way to help the railfans.

--- End quote ---

Welcome Juxen!  All of those would be of use for recording.  The SW's have the 567C 12 cylinder, which we don't have a recording of.  The GP9 would give us another source for a 567C 16 cylinder.  The MP15AC has the 645E 12 cylinder, which we also don't have.  The GP40-2 has a 645E3C-16, which we don't have but will be very similar to the 645E3-16, which we do have.

I would focus on the SW's and MP15AC first, then the GP40-2 and GP9 last.

Contact Bruce (BruceRogers on here) and see what he uses for recording equipment.  He has it all and has provided most of the recordings so far.  Tim Ring might be another source to contact as well.  He's done several of the recordings and if the location is close to where he is, he may want to head out there and get them.

-Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version