Author Topic: EMD 567-16 ULT Prime mover available  (Read 9161 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
EMD 567-16 ULT Prime mover available
« on: July 03, 2019, 08:07:48 AM »
When did this sneak in?

Noticed today there is now an EMD 567-16 ULT prime mover file available.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: EMD 567-16 ULT Prime mover available
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 09:38:28 AM »
It went up on the weekend, but it's still in testing AFIK.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:40:12 PM »
If it's still up for everyone to download, then I would.  It sounds excellent.  Recorded directly from a 16-567C.  Lots of prominent exhaust, and very smooth transitions up and down the notches.

I'd eventually like to have a second 567 file with a bit more of the "whine" that so many 567's have....that kind of mechanical whirring of the prime mover as it's throttling down.  Not really sure how to describe it.  But this new file is great and well worth the download.

-Kevin

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 04:45:18 PM »
Kevin, I'd like to get that sound too. I'm thinking about adding another microphone nearer the roots blowers so the exhaust doesn't drown out the whine. I might need to talk to a sound expert to see what can be done.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 06:53:14 PM »
Bruce, that was my thought also.  I'm guessing the microphone was up near the exhaust stacks then?  I think if you have one mic mounted up on top, and one mounted down near the roots blower, then coordinate the recordings of both by using a clapper, Tim should be able to mix both together in post processing and have both the loud exhaust as well as the whine.

-Kevin

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »
Kevin, That's correct the microphone is up by the exhausts. It might be possible to move it further away so that it doesn't override the whine. I might try that first.

Tom

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »
I just installed the new 567-16 ULT and compared it to the old 567.  Now, my recollection as to what a 567 actually sounded like is long gone, but the 567-16 ULT seems to be higher pitched, almost tinny, and less throaty than the old 567.  Hope it is reasonably correct as it sounds nice.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 06:57:13 PM »
I just installed the new 567-16 ULT and compared it to the old 567.  Now, my recollection as to what a 567 actually sounded like is long gone, but the 567-16 ULT seems to be higher pitched, almost tinny, and less throaty than the old 567.  Hope it is reasonably correct as it sounds nice.
I agree with your assessment, it is higher and does not play a lot of the lower notes.  It is accurate though....it was recorded right from a prototype through all the notches.  The problem was the location of the recording equipment as was discussed in this thread.  The exhaust sound drowned out the prime mover.  Bruce is working on getting another recording with the mic placed in a different location that will allow more of the prime mover to be recorded.

-Kevin

Juxen

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
I'm curious as to what sort of equipment was used in the recording of these locos?

I used to work at (and still have contacts with) a shortline railroad in the Midwest. It has the following (operational):

SW1200
SW1200RS
GP8
GP9
MP15AC
GP40-2
SD40-2

Don't know if that'd be any help for recordings, but the owner of the railroad likes to go out of his way to help the railfans.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
I'm curious as to what sort of equipment was used in the recording of these locos?

I used to work at (and still have contacts with) a shortline railroad in the Midwest. It has the following (operational):

SW1200
SW1200RS
GP8
GP9
MP15AC
GP40-2
SD40-2

Don't know if that'd be any help for recordings, but the owner of the railroad likes to go out of his way to help the railfans.

Welcome Juxen!  All of those would be of use for recording.  The SW's have the 567C 12 cylinder, which we don't have a recording of.  The GP9 would give us another source for a 567C 16 cylinder.  The MP15AC has the 645E 12 cylinder, which we also don't have.  The GP40-2 has a 645E3C-16, which we don't have but will be very similar to the 645E3-16, which we do have.

I would focus on the SW's and MP15AC first, then the GP40-2 and GP9 last.

Contact Bruce (BruceRogers on here) and see what he uses for recording equipment.  He has it all and has provided most of the recordings so far.  Tim Ring might be another source to contact as well.  He's done several of the recordings and if the location is close to where he is, he may want to head out there and get them.

-Kevin

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 05:13:45 PM »

SW1200
SW1200RS
GP8
GP9
MP15AC
GP40-2
SD40-2

Welcome! And I'll second Kevin, what a resource you have access to.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 06:11:26 PM »
I agree with your assessment, it is higher and does not play a lot of the lower notes.  It is accurate though....it was recorded right from a prototype through all the notches.  The problem was the location of the recording equipment as was discussed in this thread.  The exhaust sound drowned out the prime mover.  Bruce is working on getting another recording with the mic placed in a different location that will allow more of the prime mover to be recorded.

-Kevin

I agree. To compare, I have a Bowser F3 with an older Soundtraxx decoder, it definitely has more of the lower register whine. 

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 09:36:03 AM »
I'm all ears! The hardest part is getting the sounds under load. On older units without self load capability you need to pull a cut of cars along with the brakes on the train set. That means at least a mile of track to pull it off. Even a switch engine has more power than you think. If one can talk the shop guys into hooking the locomotive up to a load bank there's no need to move it. Of course that takes time too. Talking them into doing it for free is also tricky. So far I've got everything for RailPro for free. Just my time and gas invested.

Juxen

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »
Thanks all for the head's up! I actually used to work with them as a conductor, so I've got good contacts there.

And Bruce, I agree; one of the little switchers pulled 28 loads and one empty one afternoon, so there's quite a lot of weight there. Good news is, we (or they) rarely MU locomotives, and prefer to allow locomotives to pull all 20 or so daily cars with one loco.

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 03:38:53 PM »
For the recordings I used a Tascam recorder and an external microphone. On EMDs the long cord allows me to sit in the cab while recording to ensure it doesn't over peak. I'd be interested in Recording everything they have so we can all enjoy better sounding engines.
here's my email; bruce.rogers95@yahoo.com