Author Topic: Railpro Assistant  (Read 4804 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Railpro Assistant
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 11:07:02 AM »
You can get these types of cables at places like staples as well.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »
It does not say Not Connected but on the dashboard the USB cable to the handheld has an X across it.

RPA can only show one of two possibilities for the USB connection, either Connected with no X across the "connection" or Not Connected with a X over the "connection"; it physically can not display anything else so this is the one you are seeing yes?

rpa_usb_not_connected.png

This means that RPA can not detect your HC as being plugged into your computer so yes you will get the Cannot Connect error from the HC if you try to download anything as the HC and RPA can not see and talk to each other.

I'd firstly do what Bill has suggested and try a different USB port on your computer if you haven't tried that already. If that doesn't work there are other tests we'll be able to try. As to a faulty USB cable, I'm doubtful this will be the case as you tried a second USB cable and while it's true that not all USB cables are created equally having two faulty cables in your possession at the same time is too much co-incidence for me. I hope it's not a faulty USB port on the HC.

Edit:
explained where to look on the handheld and I was startled to see no connection

Eh? Where did he say to look on the handheld for a connection status?  Or do you mean on RPA and not handheld?

- Tim
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:21:31 AM by G8B4Life »

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »
Tim, the connection indicator to which I referred is on RPA, not the HC. I have tried all my USB ports on my laptop and hub with the same results. I get no connection Between RPA and the HC, the X over the cable diagram remains. RPA is connected to the Internet.
 I am unable to find an Ethernet cable in town, so I will order one. In the meantime, I will continue with building roadbed, laying cork and tracks and wiring the road. Once the ethernet cable arrives, I will connect the router to the laptop and try again. This will work, sooner or later.
 Today, I started by opening RPA, verified it was connected to the Internet, went to Programs and selected HC-2b rev2.09.
 Then I connected the USB cable to the hub and HC and turned on the HC. I went to Tools, Software update and pressed USB button to download the update. The indicator on the HC showed an X indicating no connection and an error message saying just that appeared.
 There was also a message stating the there was an unrecognized USB device in use.
 I will put this away until my ethernet cable arrives in a week to ten days.
 Thanks for all the suggestions.
Cheers
Cecil
Cecil
ATSF

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 03:03:03 PM »
RPA is connected to the Internet.
 I am unable to find an Ethernet cable in town, so I will order one.

I don't think you need the Ethernet cable, as you state the connection to the internet is working.

There was also a message stating the there was an unrecognized USB device in use

This message says you have a problem with the USB driver for the HC and the USB cable is probably not the problem.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 03:39:43 PM »
Thanks, Bill. I wondered about that when I saw the message but don’t know where to obtain the drivers. I think I told Ring about it; if not, I will tomorrow.
Cheers,
Cecil
Cecil
ATSF

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 03:44:29 PM »
Cecil, do you by chance also have a "RR Circuits LocoBuffer"?

https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,469.msg3669.html#msg3669

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 06:41:48 PM »
No, Bill, I don’t have that program.
Cheers,
Cecil
Cecil
ATSF

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 11:00:44 PM »
Only the older HC-2 (charges by using a standard round DC plug) needs separate drivers. The HC-2b (charges using the USB cable) does not need separate drivers.

Cecil, I'm going to PM you a link to some software I wrote that tests whether your computer (separately from RPA) can see the HC properly or not.

I'd like you to run the software and post me back the results of the tests.

- Tim

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
 I had begun a connectivity test that Tim from Oz wrote when I received an email from Illinois Tim, asking me to plug my Railpro cable directly into my laptop. I rearranged the devices in my hub, removed it and plugged my Railpro cable directly into the laptop and I got connected in both the initial RPA page AND the Download page! Now I must charge my batteries then I will update myHC and install revisions for my LM-3.
 Thank you to each and everyone who volunteered help. I sincerely appreciate it. Now, on to better railroading!
Thanks to all, Cecil
Cecil
ATSF

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 01:44:53 PM »
I rearranged the devices in my hub

Doh, That would do it.

I totally didn't think to ask if you were directly connected to the PC. I knew that USB Hubs Don't work with RPA very well.

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »
After a month of inactivity due to health, I finally telephoned Tim Ring and he solved the problem in about two minutes. Seems I did not have a problem to begin with, I got things out of sequence and when Tim talked me through it, it made sense.
Getting old is not for sissies! Try, try again (then call Tim).
Cecil
ATSF