General > General Discussion

Forum Suggestions

<< < (2/6) > >>

jimw:
Re: "Perhaps a thread of proposed forum features/categories/etc would be good." (Oct 6, 2015)

I agree that an organizational format would be a good idea, as Kevin proposes.  I quickly generated the following categories of potential interest.  I suspect each would likely require subcategories to aid future searches for specific issues.

1.   RailPro Overview / links
2.   RailPro vs. DCC
3.   RailPro Costs / Comparisons
4.   RailPro Installation (especially photos/narratives/videos)
5.   Speakers / Installation / How-to
6.   Layout wiring for RailPro
7.   RailPro sound features
8.   RailPro Auto Reversing Modules
9.   Railpro Accessory Modules
10. RailPro Wish-lists
11. N Scale
12. Other

As one new to the hobby, I have benefitted greatly from the free exchange of knowledge so graciously provided by each of you in this and other venues.  I hope I may in the future be able to contribute in kind.  Please feel free to modify/disregard any of the above if it is not useful.

Jim W

William Brillinger:
i'm listening. say more...

jimw:
Hi Bill:
Hi Bill:

Assuming that this is along the gist of Kevin's initial post, I'm suggesting posts be categorized, so that as the users of this forum can more easily find relevant topics (especially as one anticipates a progressively expansive discourse.)  I'm not sure how much effort is required to tend this sort of forum, and my own skills at the technical  management of a database are nil.  Hopefully, given a framework, users would be able to sort their own entries appropriately.

I also thought of another possible category: "Having Fun with RailPro", which might be a good place for videos of the system in use.

In any case, I really don't wish to seem ungrateful.  What you have accomplished is already a  remarkable resource.

Jim Wilkens, Titusville PA

KPack:
Jim and Bill,

Some of those headings would probably be best as "subforums" under the general forum headings we have now.  Open up the forum section you are interested in (Railpro Features for example) and then navigate to the appropriate subforum if necessary (AM modules for example).  Still keep each general forum category open to posting as we have it now, but the subforums could be used for items/threads related specifically to the topic of the subforum. 

That being said, in a forum such as this where membership is at present somewhat small, the subforums may or may not be used much.  But perhaps it would be useful to start that now so that we don't have a lot of moving to do later if we decide to do subforums?

The one thing we don't want is to have so many forums and subforums that it becomes nearly impossible to navigate and browse.  Take The Diesel Detailer forum for example: http://dieseldetailer.proboards.com/.  That forum has 7 main areas with 68 (!!!) subforums.  It's overload!  So we ought to be cautious on what subforums, if any, we decide to add.  We don't want to go overboard!

Additional thoughts?

-Kevin

jimw:
Kevin.

You make a good point.  I just looked at the MRH forum: it has 6 categories.  By far the largest is "Let's Talk Trains."  Within that are only 8 subcategories with c. 8200 posts covering nearly ALL of model railroading.  May be best to leave well-enough alone.

Jim W

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version