Author Topic: Forum Suggestions  (Read 15357 times)

KPack

• Conductor
Forum Suggestions
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
With the new forum, it appears we have more capability to include the features we want into the forum itself.  Perhaps a thread of proposed forum features/categories/etc would be good acceptable?  I'll leave this up to Bill as he is the one heading this place up.  I definitely don't want to him or anyone feel that running the forum is a burden.

One thing I'm curious of is if we can create some sort of a header?  Obviously something Railpro related would be nice, though using the Railpro logo would probably be taboo unless we got permission from Ring Engineering. 

Thoughts?

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Forum Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:34:38 PM »
One thing I'm curious of is if we can create some sort of a header?  Obviously something Railpro related would be nice, though using the Railpro logo would probably be taboo unless we got permission from Ring Engineering.

I'm planning on customizing the template, I just have not had a chance to explore it yet.
Not to worry, I'll get there!

Also, All suggestions are welcome.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
I have developed a graphic and sent it to Tim for permission to use.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:32:14 AM »
I have added MODS for handling youtube videos and inline pictures to the forum software.

still waiting to hear back from Ring Engineering about the Group Header Image.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »
Tim has approved the Header!

jimw

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 07:02:11 PM »
Re: "Perhaps a thread of proposed forum features/categories/etc would be good." (Oct 6, 2015)

I agree that an organizational format would be a good idea, as Kevin proposes.  I quickly generated the following categories of potential interest.  I suspect each would likely require subcategories to aid future searches for specific issues.

1.   RailPro Overview / links
2.   RailPro vs. DCC
3.   RailPro Costs / Comparisons
4.   RailPro Installation (especially photos/narratives/videos)
5.   Speakers / Installation / How-to
6.   Layout wiring for RailPro
7.   RailPro sound features
8.   RailPro Auto Reversing Modules
9.   Railpro Accessory Modules
10. RailPro Wish-lists
11. N Scale
12. Other

As one new to the hobby, I have benefitted greatly from the free exchange of knowledge so graciously provided by each of you in this and other venues.  I hope I may in the future be able to contribute in kind.  Please feel free to modify/disregard any of the above if it is not useful.

Jim W

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »
i'm listening. say more...

jimw

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:43:12 PM »
Hi Bill:
Hi Bill:

Assuming that this is along the gist of Kevin's initial post, I'm suggesting posts be categorized, so that as the users of this forum can more easily find relevant topics (especially as one anticipates a progressively expansive discourse.)  I'm not sure how much effort is required to tend this sort of forum, and my own skills at the technical  management of a database are nil.  Hopefully, given a framework, users would be able to sort their own entries appropriately.

I also thought of another possible category: "Having Fun with RailPro", which might be a good place for videos of the system in use.

In any case, I really don't wish to seem ungrateful.  What you have accomplished is already a  remarkable resource.

Jim Wilkens, Titusville PA

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »
Jim and Bill,

Some of those headings would probably be best as "subforums" under the general forum headings we have now.  Open up the forum section you are interested in (Railpro Features for example) and then navigate to the appropriate subforum if necessary (AM modules for example).  Still keep each general forum category open to posting as we have it now, but the subforums could be used for items/threads related specifically to the topic of the subforum. 

That being said, in a forum such as this where membership is at present somewhat small, the subforums may or may not be used much.  But perhaps it would be useful to start that now so that we don't have a lot of moving to do later if we decide to do subforums?

The one thing we don't want is to have so many forums and subforums that it becomes nearly impossible to navigate and browse.  Take The Diesel Detailer forum for example: http://dieseldetailer.proboards.com/.  That forum has 7 main areas with 68 (!!!) subforums.  It's overload!  So we ought to be cautious on what subforums, if any, we decide to add.  We don't want to go overboard!

Additional thoughts?

-Kevin

jimw

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
Kevin.

You make a good point.  I just looked at the MRH forum: it has 6 categories.  By far the largest is "Let's Talk Trains."  Within that are only 8 subcategories with c. 8200 posts covering nearly ALL of model railroading.  May be best to leave well-enough alone.

Jim W

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 08:47:32 PM »
As Jim stated, we should leave well enough alone. Maybe when we have a much larger membership with a lot more posts, we could think about sub categories. The site as it is now is easy to navigate in and serves us quite well. New categories that might be considered are one for members photos and videos, and possibly another category for open topic discussion. (no politics or religion).

Mel
Having more fun with RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »
I would agree to keep it simple for now. As a moderator on a large forum I'm aware of the need for sub forums, where necessary. Since the topic of this group is limited strictly to RP discussions, most of the forum suggestions mentioned can be fit into a general forum with possibly just a few subs, as we now have. A well-functioning search box should be able to narrow down topics by title for anyone needing specific information.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

dfischer71

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »
I'm new here, so my experience with this forum is limited.  However, I really liked it when I first got started in it a few weeks ago because of its simplicity AND the fact it is only about RP.  My experience thus far has been excellent, but wish we had more folks involved...that will come in time.

I still like the simplicity and ease of use.  So, I vote for SIMPLE!

If we really want to get off into other railroading topics and themes, there are several other very mature forums that meet that need quite well.

My only suggestion would be to get Tim involved here in some way.  He may not have the time to do that and maybe he monitors the forum, but I would like to see his responses from time to time.  But, I'd rather he spend his time developing new and better products!

Dan

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 10:21:54 AM »
What about something for other new technologies? I found a new panel control system in AU this is simply amazing that I'd live to share.

Jacob
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
What about something for other new technologies? I found a new panel control system in AU this is simply amazing that I'd live to share.

My inclination is that if it's not RailPro related, it does not belong here.
Perhaps MRH or another forum would be more appropriate for sharing such topics.

That said, if there is interest from this group, I would not have a problem with creating another category for "off topic discussions".
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:42:18 AM by William Brillinger »