Author Topic: The differences between LM-3 & LM-2  (Read 2173 times)

llxlocomotives

• Fireman
The differences between LM-3 & LM-2
« on: October 25, 2019, 11:54:33 AM »
Trying to search this topic did not yield a clear answer.  What does the -3 do that the -2 did not. 
Larry

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: The differences between LM-3 & LM-2
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 11:59:33 AM »

From the Ring website:
"The new LM-3S and LM-3 Locomotive modules have twice the program memory and the LM-3S has twice the storage memory.  Extra program memory will allow us to add more features and improved sound with program updates. Extra storage memory will allow more sound files, pictures, and light effect files to be loaded!  Also instead of a 2nd input like on the LM-2, the new LM-3 has a 'Negative' terminal.
Is better for battery powered connection and will be more flexible to add a keep alive product."
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 12:02:08 PM by nodcc4me »
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

llxlocomotives

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
Thanks Al,
At what point would you up grade from a -2 to a -3.  on the -2 you need a bridge rectifier to add a KA, but that may not be a reason.  Are there sound files available tat would take that much memory? 
Larry

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »
Larry, the newer ULT sound files do take up quite a bit of memory. On an LM-2s, there is very little room for any other sound files. I haven't upgraded any of my locomotives. I still have about a dozen LM-1's, a bunch of LM2-s's and a few LM-3s's. If anything, I might switch out the LM-1's at some point.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 04:21:54 PM »
Larry - the LM-2S can fit the new ULT files and most other sounds (horn, bell, air, etc) without much of an issue.  There are some prime mover files that are rather large that may make you reach capacity on the LM-2S once you add some of the other sounds.  The 7FDL-16 Modern comes to mind.  It is rather large, but like I said you can still fit nearly any other sound you would need.

The LM-3S is large enough to where storage will not be an issue for the foreseeable future.  As more and more high quality sound files are released (ULT) then storage will be more important.

It is much easier to install a keep-alive on a LM-3S.  The external bridge rectifier takes up extra room on the install.

Most of my locomotives run the LM-2S, simply because that's when I bought most of my modules.  I have a couple LM-3S as well.  Functionally there is no difference.  Just the storage capacity, and the ability to run more intense programming.  Currently the LM-2S can run everything the LM-3S can.  I know that Tim Ring was worried that the LM-2S wouldn't be able to run the newer software when the he made all those changes a year or so ago.  But he was able to get it to work in the end.

If you have access to the LM-2S then they are fine to use.  Otherwise go for the LM-3S...it is more future-proof.  And that's all that Tim sells now.

-Kevin

llxlocomotives

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses.  Someone ask me and I thought there was more to it than what you have indicated.  Good to know.
Larry