Author Topic: EMD 567-16 ULT Prime mover available  (Read 9173 times)

KPack

• Conductor
Re: EMD 567-16 ULT Prime mover available
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 09:56:35 PM »
Bruce, what Tascam recorder are you using?  I ask because most of them besides the basic DR-05 have multiple inputs.  The DR-40 has two inputs (plus two built-in mics for 4 tracks total), and there are some that have 6 tracks with 4 inputs.  I watched a video of TCS recording an Alco, and they had mic's all over that locomotive recording it from many angles.  I'm wondering if at least getting the recording from two angles would allow you to get the best of both the prime mover and the exhaust.  Recorded as separate tracks, then combine them on top of each other and edit to play in Railpro.

I have a nice Sennheisser mic I can send your way if you need a second one.

Juxen

• Fireman
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 02:10:56 PM »
Bruce, thanks for the head's up.

We're in the middle of moving right now, so it may be a few weeks before I can get anything set in stone.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2019, 08:30:23 PM »
I have a couple good Shure mics if you need to borrow more.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
Kevin, I use the same as Ring do. The DR-05 and a Sennheisser Microphone. I think moving the mic farther away from the exhaust might be the key to better overall sound from the older geeps. The guys that do recordings for TCS or Loksound get paid for the work they do. One guy said he would sell the raw recordings to me for $600 each. I declined at that price. Here at Fond du Lac roundhouse the guys put quite a few geeps and SWs on the load bank each week. I'm hoping to get some recordings when they do it. Of course it has to work around my work schedule too.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
Bruce, I'm glad you have some opportunities to record.  Hopefully between Juxen's contacts and yours we can fill in the gaps in the Railpro sound library. 

I feel relatively useless as I don't know anyone who can get me access to any sort of locomotive to record.  It's all about knowing the right people.

-Kevin

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 12:50:44 PM »
Bruce, I'm glad you have some opportunities to record.  Hopefully between Juxen's contacts and yours we can fill in the gaps in the Railpro sound library. 

I feel relatively useless as I don't know anyone who can get me access to any sort of locomotive to record.  It's all about knowing the right people.

-Kevin

If we need to crowd fund some equipment you can count me in.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

Juxen

• Fireman
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 09:47:28 PM »
Thanks, but all my contact has is old EMD's. Nothing on GE, Baldwin, Alco, or any of the others. And I'd love to get steam locomotives someday.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 10:25:02 PM »
Thanks, but all my contact has is old EMD's. Nothing on GE, Baldwin, Alco, or any of the others. And I'd love to get steam locomotives someday.

Old EMD's are great....we need recordings of everything your contact has.  Even recordings of prime movers we already have.  Having two different EMD 16-645E3 sound files would be great...consists sound better when the locomotives don't all sound the same.

The other locomotives will get recorded eventually (steam being the hardest I think), but the opportunity to record EMD prime movers from your contact is one that we can't miss!

-Kevin

Tom

• Engineer
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 05:37:38 PM »
From the above comments it seems that there may be a redo at some point.  Since a newer 567-16 ULT may sound similar to the previous one, will there be a way to figure out when the 567-16 ULT has been updated?  I am guessing Ring may not want to add a “What’s New!” for a slight variation of a previously posted  one.