Author Topic: LM2S behavior  (Read 3085 times)

ON28

• Conductor
LM2S behavior
« on: October 31, 2019, 02:00:19 PM »
Hello board,

I hard-wired an LM2S in a Life-Like Proto BL2. It runs fine except for occasional stalls on dead spots, such as frogs, which causes the module to switch direction and I have to change it back. Also, a stall will sometimes unlink a consist, forcing a re-linking. Is this normal behavior for the module? I am using Atlas metal frog C100 and 83 switches without supplementary feeds. Thanks!

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: LM2S behavior
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
Have you updated the module and your HC to the current software?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:22:54 PM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
What Bill said.  Your software is out of date.  This was a problem that was corrected in the latest releases for both the LM-2S and HC.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 03:48:00 PM »
Have you updated the module and your HC to the current software?

No, I haven't. Thanks for that. I suppose that will also eliminate the motor buzzing even when the throttle is at zero?

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »
It should fix a lot of issues, but if you continue to have stalls at frogs you may have a pickup problem. If you are using un-powered frogs, you may need a keep-alive in the locomotive.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 04:29:13 PM »
It should fix a lot of issues, but if you continue to have stalls at frogs you may have a pickup problem. If you are using un-powered frogs, you may need a keep-alive in the locomotive.

On my shopping list!

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 08:31:19 AM »

Yes, you could put a $20 keep alive in every locomotive or put $0.50 switches on the frogs.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 11:32:47 AM »
Alan, are you suggesting toggle switches on the frog to switch polarity or some other switch?
Cecil
ATSF

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 12:23:38 PM »
I did not have a final form factor in mind. There are any number of ways to get the job done. Below is just one. My point being keep alives, while certainly an effective solution, add considerable cost and installation concerns if one has many locomotives.

EC029-L.jpg
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 04:00:08 PM »
Just to report, upgraded the LM2 and the loco ran better, thanks to all who commented. Per the keep-alive comment, I will add that Tony Koester uses miniature slide switches to power some frogs (mostly non-mainline) on his NKP layout.  But, like other aspects of this hobby, you can spend as much as you want on frog juices and similar circuitry.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 04:49:11 PM »
Glad to hear that the issue is resolved.  Check the Ring Engineering Assistant periodically (or this forum) to see if there are any new updates.  You'll want to always keep things updated as much as possible.

Regarding keep-alives and powered frogs.  You really have to look at your situation to help make a decision.  If you have your own layout and have the ability to add powered frogs, I would.  If you are going to be running your locomotives on anyone else's layout I would install keep-alives.  You have control over your own track, but you don't have control over someone else's.  I, for the moment, have to run my stuff at other layouts, and I'm at the mercy of their trackwork, wiring, and cleanliness.  Keep-alives are a must for me.  If I had my own layout I would make the trackwork as perfect as possible and avoid the need for keep alives.   They really aren't that fun to install in some locomotives.

-Kevin