Author Topic: Atlas/Kato GP-7  (Read 2472 times)

atsfguy

• Conductor
Atlas/Kato GP-7
« on: October 09, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
Hi, guys.
  I recently purchased a new in the box Atlas/Kato GP-7 locomotive. While waiting for its arrival, I built a run in track 44”x 80” powered by Direct Current. The loco arrived a few days ago so I put it on the track, opened the throttle and it began a one hour break in period, fifteen minutes forward and fifteen in reverse. Then another cycle to complete the hour.
  I was pleasantly surprised at how well it ran out of the box and now, after break in, it is even smoother. I plan to run it some more on DC for at least two more hours, then clean and relubricate it prior to installation of an LM-3. I look forward with anticipation to running it on Railpro power.
  Should anyone have an tips, hints or information of any kind, please contact me.
  After this initial Atlas purchase, I plan to go with Atlas for additional locos for my layout.
  I will continue to work on my Athearn GP-7 but it gave me so much trouble getting it to running condition I may retire it and place it in a park.
  Thanks for all the help offered while working on the  Athearn.
Cheers,
Cecil
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 02:52:53 PM by atsfguy »
Cecil
ATSF

llxlocomotives

• Fireman
Re: Atlas/Kato GP-7
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 09:59:33 AM »
Your talking about an approximately 30 year old design engine.  Kato drives are great.  There are those that complain about some the performance in DCC, but I'm convinced that that is just module related problems.
I just finished an install on an Atlas/Kato unit.  I Put in a LM-3s, an iPhone speaker and LED's.  It was a fun effort.  Ran and sounded good.  Fell respectfully in the data base of Atlas/Kato engines.

What vintage Athearn GP7 are you talking about.  I would be interested to hear more of what you shout was the problems.
Larry

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 01:59:47 PM »
Larry,
 I have had no problems with the Atlas/Kato GP-7. I built a test track on a sheet of plywood and ran it both directions for about two hours each, total. It ran slowly and smoothly right out of the box. I should have said that I was running it on DC with a great power pack. I plan to install an LM-3 as soon as my wife’s health doesn’t require me to perform all the domestic duties less cooking. I expect to almost see the wheels turning once it has Railpro installed. I need to lay more roadbed and track and design a small yard for my branch line railroad.
  I did have problems with my Athearn blue box GP-7 when I installed an LM-3 in it but after an extensive cleaning, lubricating and breaking in period,  it runs almost as well as the Atlas/Kato unit.
  Both of my locos are thirty years or older but they run well now, so there is no need to replace them. I also have some packed away that date farther back than these two, all the ways to the sixties. They will remain DC and probably packed away.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:28:48 AM by atsfguy »
Cecil
ATSF

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 03:47:44 PM »
Your talking about an approximately 30 year old design engine.  Kato drives are great.  There are those that complain about some the performance in DCC, but I'm convinced that that is just module related problems.
I just finished an install on an Atlas/Kato unit.  I Put in a LM-3s, an iPhone speaker and LED's.  It was a fun effort.  Ran and sounded good.  Fell respectfully in the data base of Atlas/Kato engines.

What vintage Athearn GP7 are you talking about.  I would be interested to hear more of what you shout was the problems.
Larry

Larry--Could you post a photo of your install with the shell off? It would be instructive. Thanks!

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 01:11:48 PM »
Larry,
  If you remove the shell from your Atlas/Kato GP-7 in the next few months, please post photos of the install on this website. I would be very interested to see how another modeler installed his. I have yet to install my LM-3 in my loco.
  I will have some downtime thanks to a medical procedure about ten days away.
  Thanks.
Cecil
Cecil
ATSF

llxlocomotives

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 05:16:47 PM »
Unfortunately, I do not have the model and did not take the final pix.  I documented some of the steps to do the job on my site, www.llxlocomotives.com, but I for some reason did not take a finished job pix.  This was dome for a client.  I am doing a couple of other engines now, on is an Atlas China GP7 and the other is a Walthers Proto SD9.  These are not ready for prime time.  I will post a pix or two of each of theses when appropriate.
Larry