Author Topic: MU Question  (Read 1926 times)

SWA737

• Engineer
MU Question
« on: November 12, 2019, 11:48:42 PM »
 I have been meaning to ask this for sometime. I have 42 engines and do about five operating sessions per year with about 12 guys. I would like to have my engines MU’d  ahead of time so they don’t have to mess with it. I noticed when I turn the power off and then back on even as recent as an hour later, some of the engines lose there MU but some of them retain it. I know it is not that difficult to do a quick MU during the session but just wanted to  simplify  things for my operators. Am I missing something as to why some of them do not hold there MU’s?
Thanks, Rob

Tom

• Engineer
Re: MU Question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:36:12 PM »
I have experienced the same thing, but not recently.  I t really made a mess (“locomotive in another link” when it was not indicated as being so, or something to that effect) and, if I remember correctly, a reset of the HC-2 solved the problems.  As others always ask: are all the modules and HC software up to date.

SWA737

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 07:38:31 PM »
Thanks Tom. Everything is up to date as of 2 weeks ago. Got The throttles and all decoders up to the latest updates. Hopefully Bill or Keven will chime in ?😀😀

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 07:55:01 PM »
I would like to have my engines MU’d  ahead of time so they don’t have to mess with it.

As far as I know RP doesn't specifically feature "ahead of time" MU'ing, any current capability for that might be more accidental rather than by design.

As to why it appears that sometimes MU's get saved and others don't (and also in answer to Tom's post) perhaps it's related to the 10 second delay, which was covered here: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,213.msg1238.html#msg1238 .

- Tim

SWA737

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »
 Thanks Tim, I had no idea on the 10 second rule. I read the other link for the details. I’m sure I have not been adhering to that. As soon as I go to zero and turn the sound and lights off I exit out immediately. I will go in and do a reset on each of my controllers just to make sure all of that is cleared out from this point forward. Thanks for the clarification
Rob Cooper

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 08:23:03 PM »
There is also now a Clear Active Loco List button in the tools screen of the HC that should do the same thing without having to use the reset button on the back of the HC.

I wonder if a true pre-defined MU feature would be desirable by the masses? I can see it's worth in the setting you gave. I also know of one person that does that (dcc) when he exhibits at train shows; sets all the consists up at home before the show.

- Tim

SWA737

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 08:35:06 PM »
 I did see that clear active loco button but, I was afraid that meant it was going to clear all of the locos I had stored in the HC. I guess it does not mean that. Only clears up as far as what we’re currently talking about?
Rob

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 07:55:59 AM »
No, it does not remove detected products from the HC.  Even though it's not documented anywhere I'd say all it does is clear the internal list that the HC uses to keep track of what it's controlling at any given time.

- Tim

SWA737

• Engineer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 12:08:46 PM »
 Thanks Tim. That makes sense. Really good to know.
Rob