Author Topic: Intermountain F3 install  (Read 2538 times)

ON28

• Conductor
Intermountain F3 install
« on: December 04, 2019, 09:32:52 AM »
Sharing this, an LM-3S in an HO 8-pin DCC-ready Intermountain F3. I first tore down and cleaned up the drive components, a process which is essential for most efficient performance, since I acquired this loco second-hand. Stiff pickup wires caused the original trucks to derail -- a known issue -- Intermountain provided replacements. I retained the factory light board for plug-in convenience and added a Yelo-Glo Miniatronics LED headlight, mounted on a styrene base that will also support crew figures. The LM is at the rear, with an iPhone 4S mounted on top, and both fit with no frame or shell modifications. I downloaded a generic diesel sound which offers more bass rumble than the ULT 567-16. An older model that's nicely-detailed and a good runner with RailPro.

IMG_20191203_214656402.jpg

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:35:34 AM by ON28 »

atsfguy

• Conductor
Re: Intermountain F3 install
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
Nice job. Clean, neat and tidy.

Cecil
Cecil
ATSF

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 02:52:03 PM »
Thanks for that, maybe someone will benefit from my experience. I'll add that I shrouded the headlight in heatshrink, cuts down on light leaks. The Intermountain chassis also includes spaces for bulbs/LEDs to illuminate the class lights and numberboards, when the time comes. I'll likely add a backup light, since my railroad had them on F units, over the rear door. I had to email Intermountain for the programming on the lightboard pins, Lee Ryan was most helpful.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 09:56:51 PM »
Nice job. Clean, neat and tidy.

Cecil

That's exactly what I was thinking. Nice work!
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org