Author Topic: A new page on RingEngineering.com  (Read 3376 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
A new page on RingEngineering.com
« on: November 21, 2019, 06:56:34 AM »
I don't recall seeing this the last time I was on the RE website though I don't know how new it actually is, it could be a few weeks old and nobody else reported it (it's not particularly newsworthy).

TR has put up a page on the Direct Radio+Net component of RailPro (or more correctly why WiFi and Bluetooth were rejected for RP): https://www.ringengineering.com/DirectRadio.htm

Nothing in there that we users don't already know but it does confirm that modules in a consist talk directly to each other. Try that DCC!

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: A new page on RingEngineering.com
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 07:23:18 AM »
Whole lot of words that don't say much. Wonder if he is practicing to become a politician.  ;D
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 04:52:05 AM »
So could this new server fix the CGNat issue!?!?  That would save me 10 bucks a month....

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 06:12:33 AM »
So could this new server fix the CGNat issue!?!?  That would save me 10 bucks a month....

No it does not fix the issue. As I mentioned in the RPA 4.01 release announcement thread here all he did was move the problem from one port to a different port. I don't know if he just doesn't know exactly what he actually needs to change/fix or whether....

- Tim

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
well that's discouraging...he mentioned the new server would address the issue when I went through all the connection issues earlier in the year

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 12:28:52 PM »
Try it out, and if it fails, let Ring know!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 01:43:41 PM »
he is currently looking over my HC-2 to see why it would not connect through the USB port--I'll ask him specifically when I call him

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 08:23:32 PM »
he is currently looking over my HC-2 to see why it would not connect through the USB port--I'll ask him specifically when I call him

Just remember (for everyone), the HC-2 failing to initiate a download and CGNAT are separate issues.

Try it out, and if it fails, let Ring know!

Nortoneye doesn't have a CGNAT issue at this time, he's paying extra per month on his internet access to have a public ip address so he does have access as attested to he can use RPA and HC Sim together to connect and download files.

I've already run the tests and I already have the answers. In fact, I thought of and ran a new test today which confirms a couple of things.

- I set up a port forward in my router to send all unexpected packets from the internet on the port that RPA uses as the source port to my test server (note: the default behavior of virtually every router on the planet is to drop any connection it's not expecting, this is how CGNAT stops RPA from working).

- I set up a listener on that port on my test server.

- Using the UDP test tool on my PC I sent a connection test to Rings server using a different source port to the port that RPA uses.

The result: As expected the test server got the reply from Rings server and not my PC.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 09:59:15 PM »

- I set up a port forward in my router to send all unexpected packets from the internet on the port that RPA uses as the source port to my test server (note: the default behavior of virtually every router on the planet is to drop any connection it's not expecting, this is how CGNAT stops RPA from working).

- Using the UDP test tool on my PC I sent a connection test to Rings server using a different source port to the port that RPA uses.

The result: As expected the test server got the reply from Rings server and not my PC.

- Tim

Tim Ring would do well to hire you as a subcontractor.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 03:55:13 AM »

No, he would do well to swallow some pride and say "You were right, I was wrong" with nothing else needed to be said but I don't expect that. If he asked me what does he need to change/do to make it work for CGNAT I'd tell him but I don't expect that either.

I'm glad you got my test and what the result meant Alan, I wasn't expecting anyone to understand it.

- Tim

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 05:07:32 PM »
Tim

I THINK I understand your test, not sure I understand the reluctance to make the change in the RE server, hate to think it's just stubborn pride....anyway I'll just continue as is for now.  The advantages of RailPro out weigh the downside of 10 bucks per month

jim

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 06:41:22 AM »

- Tim

I was thinking the same thing!
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org