Author Topic: Moved topic: RailPro on battery power (small steam)  (Read 2922 times)

H59rob

• Brakeman
Moved topic: RailPro on battery power (small steam)
« on: December 13, 2019, 10:34:54 PM »
[Moderator Note: This post was originally posted in the Introduce yourself board. As it contains several questions in addition to h59rob's introduction the whole post has been moved here to the RailPro discussion board]

My name is Robert Hickey, 60 yrs old, Sales mgr by trade, rebuilt cars and tractors, built Cobra replica, dabble in woodworking, and love to build models since a kid. I am building an HO layout 12x8 and going dead rail. Trying to learn all I can about the various ways to power and control trains. Looking to install RailPro with battery power in a Heisler and a Shay both steam. I want battery power, radio control and sound. Tall order? Possibly using a dedicated isolated track section to recharge batteries? I am open. What do I need to make this work? Anyone got a battery powered RailPro install in a Shay with sound? Also got a brand new, never run 4-8-4 J Steam Engine Norfolk & Western #604 by MTH for sale. It is item number 80-3150-1 if anyone is interested. That’s me let the fun begin!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:48:06 AM by G8B4Life »

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Moved topic: RailPro on battery power (small steam)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 08:24:11 AM »
Tall order? Very much so. I wish you the best of luck but do not underestimate the challenge that lay before you.

Physical space for battery, module, speaker, and keep-alive will be your first obstacle to overcome. Then recharging needs considerable thought as you will be dealing with LiPo batteries and their unique charging requirements. Recharging will be more complex than simply a section of powered track. Battery is a whole lot more practical with big locomotives like modern 6 axle diesel. KPack on this forum has experience with these. Battery power in small locomotives such as yours will be quite the feat. Let the fun begin!
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 07:43:57 PM »
FYI, Here are some RailPro battery installs, the photos inspired my move to RP. Not a customer, just interesting. A number of installs here: https://www.rcsofne.com/galleries/

white_william43

• Brakeman
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »
I use RP on dead rail with HO steam engines no bigger than 2-8-0. Haven't tried diesel yet. To get the necessary 11+ volts from 3.7v LiPo batteries I use the Stanton S-cab system, https://www.s-cab.com/. You have to get a LM-3, a battery, and battery power supply as well as a speaker(s) into the tender. You activate the system with a proximity wand and magnetic switch. It's cozy, but I've done it a couple of times. Dead rail is the future, and I'm hoping Tim will include a battery connection in a future LM.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 05:18:42 AM »
The idea of dead rail sure is appealing but I don't think it's practical yet for the majority of us. While it may be possible in my HO E units I don't see any practical way to incorporate such into a GP-7 (the Rock Island's most owned loco) or a SW-XXX. Even with extensive milling the SW's are tight just for an LM, KA, and a speaker. The idea is wonderful but a lot of locos may have to wait for the next generation of batteries.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 04:27:02 PM »
Space is always going to be the main concern for dead-rail.  Charging is not as big a deal.  If you want to charge from the track that takes more electronics that you have to find space for.  Personally I prefer to have a plug between the battery and the rest of the electronics that I can easily access to plug into a charger.  In my SD40-2 it's underneath the dynamic brake hatch that pops off the model.  It will be harder to do with steam, especially a Shay. 

Regarding dead rail in diesels, the best place I've found to put the battery is in the fuel tank.  As long as the model has a fuel tank that will fit the battery (most 4-axle hood units should) you can fit it in there.  You'll need to mill off the weight inside the tank, and attach the motor to the frame using silicone instead of screws.  Keep the hood clear for the motor, Railpro module, speakers, and lighting.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
I have tested battery power in a Stewart/Kato F3 with Del-Tang (UK) receiver and transmitter (throttle), which are not currently available in the U.S. It worked OK but I used a r/c Turnigy battery, which is not protected and led to other issues. For indoor HO my opinion is that battery is a solution in search iof a problem. As I recently acquired a quarter of DCC locos and an NCE system (along with RP), for me that has put battery in the rearview. 

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 09:42:05 PM »
I've found that for most issues common to indoor HO track a keep-alive is more than adequate.  However, it is really fun to run my battery-powered locomotive.  I'll probably do one more and have a pair that I can use for exhibition and testing.

-Kevin