Author Topic: RailPro PA-3 charger  (Read 1277 times)

faithie999

• Conductor
RailPro PA-3 charger
« on: February 10, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »
I hadn't used nor charged my HC-2b for about a year.  I plugged the PA-3 charger into the HC, with the cord supplied when I had the HC upgraded, and it appeared to recharge the batteries which had been in the unit for a year.  however, the charge went down rather quickly (10-ish minutes).  I suspected being fully discharge for a year damaged the batteries, so I recharged some other NiMH batteries I had on hand, that were not fully discharged, and installed them.  after some period of use, I plugged in the PA-3.  the indicator showed about 25% remaining, and in less than an hour showed full charge.  seemed too quick, but whatever.  then after unplugging the PA-3, and leaving the HC screen on for a few minutes, the indicator fell to 25%.  rinse and repeat.  quick "recharge" to 100% then quick fall to 25%. looks like either the charger or the PA-3 thinks the batteries are fully charged when they are not.

when I received the PA-3 there was an apocalyptic warning against using any other 5v charger.  however, before sending the HC and charger back for testing, I'd like to try another charger.  I would think an apple 5v 10watt charger would be well-regulated and safe to try.

thoughts?

thanks

ken

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: RailPro PA-3 charger
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 10:28:39 AM »
Sounds like to need to recalibrate or reset the battery indicator.
Your HC will probably go for 10 more hours before you get the true RED low battery indication.

Let is discharge completely by turning off the "auto screen off" setting on the HC.  Leave it on until it is completely dead.  Then plug it in and let it recharge to full.  This procedure will reset the battery level indicator and give you a much more accurate charge state.

-Kevin
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

faithie999

• Conductor
Re: RailPro PA-3 charger
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:34:34 AM »
thanks for the tip!  after a couple of discharge/charge cycles the batteries last about 8 1/2 hours which is fine for batteries that aren't new and sat for a year fully discharged.

ken