Author Topic: How is everyone doing?  (Read 10958 times)

GMM6809

• Engineer
  • Glenn M.
Re: How is everyone doing?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 06:29:25 AM »
Hello All,

I’m glad to read so many in good spirits and relatively sane. Boredom is no joke.

I’m currently stuck deployed with no return date insight. I was able to order my first pack of sergent couplers and the tracking says they can be picked up, however the post office on this base is closed until Monday. We happened to have a 96 (rare these days) for Easter, so I’m stuck in the barracks with nothing to do.

We are locked down except for work, and chow. They even closed the gym! Unheard of on a Marine base.
We are working every other day in a six day work week, to limit the amount of people in our shop at one time.

While i have always wanted to not have to work, I also thought I’d be able to go do something with the free time I’d had.
Now i have the free time and not allowed to do anything with it.

I can’t express enough how much i support everyone still going to work and trying to keep the country from completely flat lining, and i feel for those that are having financial issues due to being forced to not work.

God bless, stay safe, don’t lose hope.

-Glenn
Glenn M.

Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2020, 07:00:40 PM »
Hello All,

I’m glad to read so many in good spirits and relatively sane. Boredom is no joke.

I’m currently stuck deployed with no return date insight. I was able to order my first pack of sergent couplers and the tracking says they can be picked up, however the post office on this base is closed until Monday. We happened to have a 96 (rare these days) for Easter, so I’m stuck in the barracks with nothing to do.

We are locked down except for work, and chow. They even closed the gym! Unheard of on a Marine base.
We are working every other day in a six day work week, to limit the amount of people in our shop at one time.

While i have always wanted to not have to work, I also thought I’d be able to go do something with the free time I’d had.
Now i have the free time and not allowed to do anything with it.

I can’t express enough how much i support everyone still going to work and trying to keep the country from completely flat lining, and i feel for those that are having financial issues due to being forced to not work.

God bless, stay safe, don’t lose hope.

-Glenn

Semper Fi Marine and get home ASAP.

Welcome to Sergents!
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

GMM6809

• Engineer
  • Glenn M.
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2020, 10:03:44 AM »
I finally have a date to come home! This is exciting, I finally get to hold my wife and daughter again. It’s been a long 8 months of a 6 month deployment.

Ahh, who am i kidding, i will get to open several engines and rolling stock items that i bought while deployed. Lol my wife showed my the mountain of boxes that have shown up to our apartment. Haha

I can’t believe everything that’s happening in the US, and all of the world... from the virus pandemic to the protesting a civil rights movement... It’s all incredible and being sequestered to a military base during it all, I’m sure I’m in for a shock when we return home. Many things are changing, several for the better, I’m sure.

Stay safe, and keep modeling.
Cheers,
-Glenn M.
Glenn M.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »
It's good to get home, Glenn. Been there, done that. Your new toys await. Stay safe, and get a mask.  ;)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »
 Great to hear, Glenn. I made a few of those while serving in the Army but ours were for at least a year. My kids grew up while I was traipsing around the world.
Cecil
ATSF

GMM6809

• Engineer
  • Glenn M.
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2020, 02:09:05 PM »
Great to hear, Glenn. I made a few of those while serving in the Army but ours were for at least a year. My kids grew up while I was traipsing around the world.

Yeah, I can’t imagine that and thank you for your service. Luckily my MOS has me at air fields. And currently not needed in any war zones, so the rotations are not long, usually.

My wife also bought me my first RailPro locomotive module, computer interface module, and a power backup! I was not expecting that! this is awesome! I think i am going to install them in my new to me Union Pacific 1996 heritage unit, along with a par of sergent couplers and eventually some manga-lock brake lines and MU cables... I think that’ll look real enough. Lol

It's good to get home, Glenn. Been there, done that. Your new toys await. Stay safe, and get a mask.  ;)

This whole masa’s everywhere thing is wild annoying, and definitely gives people a false sense of security. Lol
Glenn M.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »
The mask certainly is annoying, but I believe it is the first line of protection beyond staying home. Even more so than social distancing.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

GMM6809

• Engineer
  • Glenn M.
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2020, 10:40:28 AM »
The mask certainly is annoying, but I believe it is the first line of protection beyond staying home. Even more so than social distancing.

Yeah, I agree it helps, I just think people think it does more than it actually does.
Glenn M.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2020, 11:15:48 PM »
Op sessions re-starting in my area (NYC burbs) in July. I'll pass on being in a basement with 10 other people or more at that time.