Author Topic: Accessory Project for powering air solenoids  (Read 316 times)

Jim Agnew

• Fireman
Accessory Project for powering air solenoids
« on: May 16, 2024, 01:01:17 PM »
Has anyone developed an accessory project for the AM-1S, that can control an air solenoid? If so, I would appreciate knowing what logic was used. Thanks.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Accessory Project for powering air solenoids
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 08:36:09 AM »
No one's posted anything like that here but it does sound like a cool project, and something I had though about before; though not specifically with RailPro as the control system.

If I may ask, what's the use case? If your thinking of throwing points (switches for most of you) you might be better off using the plain AM-1 and not the 1S as the plain version is designed for turnout control and the 1S is not. What the actual internal difference is I don't know but it's how Ring sells them.

If you post the the air solenoids you plan to use we might be able to make some suggestions for making a program.

- Tim

Jim Agnew

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 02:01:49 PM »
The “S” is my mistake. I currently am using the AirWire Linker and Activator to throw 5 air powered turnouts on my garden layout. Since I’ve converted some of my engines to Railpro, I’d like to eliminate the need for the AirWire controller.
I’ll see if I can get the specs on the solenoid.
When I asked Ring, they replied that someone had informed them that they had in fact accomplished what I wanted to do.

Jim Agnew

• Fireman

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:47:14 AM »
Ok, so normally if your using the plain Accessory module you shouldn't need to write a program, it'll come set for you use for turnouts and you just need to define the type of point machine (switch machine) you are controlling. However, this sounds like a non normal case so how does it work for you currently? Does energising the solenoid throw the points and de-energising the solenoid restore the points, or does it work some other way (a diagram would be really good if you can do that)?

- Tim

Jim Agnew

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:36:03 AM »
Energizing the solenoid opens the valve to allow air pressure to throw the points, unenergizing the solenoid closes the valve and allows the air pressure to escape the solenoid through the 3rd port.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:16:39 AM »
Ok, so energising the solenoid throws the points one way, how do the points return to the other position when you de-energise the solenoid? Return spring? Energising another solenoid to throw the points back?  Whether you have to keep the solenoid energised to keep the points thrown and how the points return the non thrown position will determine whether you can use the standard turnout program or have to write another program.

- Tim

Jim Agnew

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:07:53 PM »
Points return by spring pressure in the air cylinder. My project is now on hold due to the fact that I somehow managed to screw up the AM-1, can’t connect with it (red target). I had a lose connection due to the spring terminal and this must have been enough to damage it. Will be ordering the AM -2 when available.

Jim Agnew

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:21:05 PM »
Wow, I didn’t screwup after all. I have 3 AM-1’s on the HC and I was trying to access the wrong one. The HC assigns duplicate turnout numbers???