RailPro > Finished RailPro Installation Examples

Athearn Genesis GP9u install

(1/3) > >>

KPack:
Here's a locomotive that I just finished installing Railpro in.  It is an Athearn Genesis GP9 model.  There isn't a whole lot of space inside with it being such a small locomotive.  I removed the factory DCC-ready board and all the lights.  I also removed the rear weight.

I then taped the LM-2S down to the top of the motor with a 9-pin plug on it.  I then started trimming and hooking up wires so that there wasn't a lot of excess .  Having the module in place helps me decide how much to take off of each wire.  I then built 2 speakers using tablet speakers and styrene (I buy the speakers from Digikey and they are relatively inexpensive).  I attached them to the frame using clear caulk.  I then plugged in the 6-pin harness (with unused wires removed) and measured, cut, and soldered the speaker wires in series.  Finally I installed all new LEDs, with the ditchlights in series (no flashing ditchlights on the prototype).  I used 1K ohm 1/4 watt resistors for all, then soldered all the leads to the appropriate wires from the module.  I utilized the mounting holes for the rear weight to keep the wires in check....simply drilled a couple holes through some styrene and screwed it down over the wires.  Kapton tape holds everything else in place.

The flywheels are clear, though just barely on the rear.

And here's a video of me testing it.  The Athearn model runs exceptionally smooth and quiet.  The prime mover is Ring's EMD 567, which is correct for this locomotive.  The coupler sounds are from a train simulator game, the stretch sound is from Bill Brillinger, and the Nathan P5 is taken from Youtube as a test.  The horn needs a bit of work to smooth it out.  Unfortunately I can't share it as I don't have permission.  I believe if it is for personal use then it is alright to use someone else's recording though.  Forgive the shakiness....I was recording and moving with one hand and controlling with the other.

-Kevin

nodcc4me:
Nice work Kevin! I have done a couple of diesels that had to have the module mounted on top of the motor, and the shell just barely fits over it. Even 1/32" more clearance would make a difference. I'm hoping for more miniaturization down the road.

hirailer:
Looks really good Kevin. You had even less room than I had on my old Atlas GP-40's. Like Al, my module was mounted on the top of the motor. it almost touches the shell.

Mel

Jim_N:
Kevin,

That's a nice clean install and thx for sharing the photos and documentation.

I recently received a Rail Pro starter pack and a bunch of LM-2S modules so am starting to get up to speed.  I am new to hardwiring so maybe you could clarify a point for me.  In your photos it appears to me  that you are only using the speaker wires on the 6-pin side (maybe I am just not able see others).  However, the Ring documentation for LED lights on the LM-2 shows the 6-pin Green and Violet wires going to the lights.  Can you clarify how you are wiring in you LEDs?  Thanks.

Jim

G8B4Life:
Nice install Kevin.

You seem to get quite good audio from those speakers. Once I get some styrene I'll try making some enclosures  for the sugar cubes as well and see how well they go.

Jim, check the RailPro documentation again, all the outputs can be used for LED's. I can't speak for Kevin but I imagine the loco was wired like this:

Output 1 (9 pin white) wired to the front headlight.
Output 2 (9 pin yellow) wired to the rear headlight.
I can't see any ditch lights in the pictures but probably output 3 (9 pin green) to the ditchlights.

- Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version