Author Topic: Battery losing charge quickly...  (Read 2271 times)

bnsf8000

• Fireman
Battery losing charge quickly...
« on: February 04, 2018, 03:57:16 PM »
  I had not ran or operated on my layout for 3 years and 9 months! Right before I tore up a bunch of track back then and used my new Railpro at the time. Probably about 3 or 4 times. Anyway my problem is as soon as I run a train within 10 minutes the HC-1 shows about 50-60% charge already. It goes down from there, but not as fast. I'm only running 1 train for about 12 scale miles while doing laps. Also, do switching and it goes down in the same manner. Is it a bad battery or is a reset in store? It did run down fully 1 or 2 times over the those 3 years 9 months. Always charged right back up. but I wasn't using it. Thanks!

MtRR75

• Conductor
Re: Battery losing charge quickly...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
If the Rail-Pro controller is not to be used, it should be recharged about once a month.  I found this out the hard way, when I let mine sit unused for about 3 months.  I had to send it back to Ring Engineering for a new battery.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 07:16:32 AM »
You need to re-calibrate the indicator.

Battery Indicator Calibration:

Short answer: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,582.msg4522.html#msg4522

More in depth: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,25
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

bnsf8000

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »
  Thanks Bill. I will do as described and report back when I use it again. I should have said when the HC-1 gets down to a quarter charge or less it really slows down losing its charge. Other than this the system is working great! It is used in conjunction with a Digitrax Super Chief system.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 04:28:58 PM »
The charge meter is not very accurate at all. It's more of a guideline.

On my HC-2, I can get about 6 to 8 hours from the last bar before the red flashing begins.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

bnsf8000

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 04:42:24 PM »
 So, there is more battery life on my HC-1 than it's saying correct? When it goes down to about quarter/eighth charge it really slows down the supposed discharge. Guess I will use it and run it down til it goes red. I haven't got to that the red yet. I always recharged it. Thanks!

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »
When you run the battery gauge down to about 1/8-1/4, the HC will still run trains for several hours, but you will not be able to download, copy or delete files at that level. Therein lies the beauty of the HC Simulator.  ;)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.