Author Topic: AM-1S for a turntable  (Read 2193 times)

Nick

• Fireman
AM-1S for a turntable
« on: December 08, 2018, 10:01:00 PM »
Awhile ago I bought a AM-1s not realizing that it cannot control switches. I recently installed a turntable on my layout, but I am uncertain how to set up my AM-1s to control it. I have wired it to the diagram shown in the User Manual. Could someone walk me through the steps on how to do the software side of the setup?

Please Help,
     -Nick

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: AM-1S for a turntable
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 01:46:22 AM »
This is all covered in the RailPro Assistant manual (Loading Project Files, page 21) so I'll give an abridged version here. Note, "Part 2 - Change the program in the module to make it an accessory module" in the manual only applies if you want to use an LM as an AM.

There is a turntable project available ready to go on Rings site. Look in Accessory Projects in RPA.

Loading accessory projects into an AM type of accessory module is straightforward and the same as loading any other file into a module :
    • Make sure the AM-1S has been detected by the HC.
    • Download the turntable project from Rings site to your HC using RPA.
    • Copy the accessory project from the HC to the AM-1S  the same way as you'd copy any other file to a module. Once the copying is completed the AM will automatically use the turntable project (as it was the last program you loaded into it).
You should be able to use the HC to control the turntable from then on.

If you have the Feature Enable enabled in your copy of RPA you can even edit the turntable project to add playing sounds etc or change any of the project behavior. Learning the programming instructions for accessory projects is another topic for another day and is not required to just download and use the project as is from RE.

- Tim

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:09:17 AM »
Just to confirm, this Turntable project is to control the movement of the turntable, correct? You'd still need an AR-1 to deal with the polarity, right?

If your turntable is manually operated, you just need the AR-1, correct?

I ask, as I'm in the midst of installing my Peco turntable (manually operated - for now), and I have an AR-1 for the polarity, but no AM-1S.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

Nick

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 05:07:58 PM »
Correct, I have already installed a AR-1. You wouldn't have to use a AM-1S to control it, a AM-1 would work fine. I am just using a AM-1s because it was what I had on hand.

Nick

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:59:24 PM »
I have read through the manual, but am still having issues. I am following the steps as provided starting on page 21 but when I get to page 23, my HC-2 does not have a button to put a project on the AM-1S. I am I missing a step somewhere? My HC-2 has the latest software, and the AM-1S does not have an update.

-Nick

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 06:14:04 AM »
This sounds like you didn't download the Turntable project to the HC using RPA beforehand. I'm sure you would have but you are sure that you did download it to the HC?

Do the other three buttons (light, sound, picture) display on the copy screen? and you are trying to copy to the AM-1S ?

- Tim

Nick

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 04:23:42 PM »
I emailed Ring and it had something to do with a glitch in my AM-1S. He did something and then told me to update the software again.