Author Topic: A good flux for soldering?  (Read 13023 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
A good flux for soldering?
« on: May 13, 2020, 09:01:58 AM »
So I've just re-affirmed how much I hate soldering  >:(. Ok, I sort of fib, I don't hate it (I don't actually altogether mind it) so much as I hate how difficult it can be when it just doesn't want to work well (which is often for me), and that's the subject of today's post.

What is a good solder flux for electronics work? Today I soldered some 32 AWG wire to the tiny little tabs of a couple of iPhone4 speakers and without applying any flux to the tabs it was just painful to get the solder to stick (the solder was rosin core but sometimes that's not enough). I have a tube of some Radio Shack brand flux (about 30 years old!) that used to work very well and possibly still does but it's a thick sticky honey like consistency flux so not really a good choice these days. I'm thinking something water like consistency that can be applied with a small brush, or needle squeeze bottle.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
Re: A good flux for soldering?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »
Thanks Alan.

I'll definitely have to find a local source, that particular flux is "Shipping restricted" by Mouser. Oh well, at least it seems MG Chemicals has a local presence here. That should help with local availability.

- Tim

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 02:40:52 PM »
I use Kester 951 No Clean Flux. I switched from the acid fluxes some time back, after reading that they weren't the best for soldering wires etc.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 03:49:35 PM »
I use Kester 951 No Clean Flux. I switched from the acid fluxes some time back, after reading that they weren't the best for soldering wires etc.

Yeah, acid fluxes are for plumbing. Rosin for electrical.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »
I have two containers of this and have been using the first one since 2008. I build a LOT of track and probably won't need to open the second one for another decade.

https://www.handlaidtrack.com/sp-0063
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 12:17:13 PM »
Thanks Jacob, but that flux is acid based - not for electronics. The web page even say not for electronics :)

I did find the flux Alan pointed me to locally (relatively speaking, in the next state from me) but wow, for a total price of about $33 I'll wait for an eBay voucher to get a discount from the "local" suppliers eBay store.

I did find it's cousin (MG 8351) for much cheaper but I don't think that one would be quite the same; it says it's for wave soldering etc.

- Tim

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 05:59:01 PM »
Thanks Jacob, but that flux is acid based - not for electronics. The web page even say not for electronics :)

I did find the flux Alan pointed me to locally (relatively speaking, in the next state from me) but wow, for a total price of about $33 I'll wait for an eBay voucher to get a discount from the "local" suppliers eBay store.

I did find it's cousin (MG 8351) for much cheaper but I don't think that one would be quite the same; it says it's for wave soldering etc.

- Tim

I didn't catch that! Good thing I'm limited to track work mostly. I did order some rosin flux to keep on hand when the needs arises though.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

Espeelark

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 07:22:20 PM »
I started using "Superior No.30 Supersafe™ Soldering Flux GEL" middle last year. The name says "gel", but its actually fairly thin. Supposedly doesn't contain any rosins or strong acids. I haven't used it for anything like what you originally described, but have used it for making turnouts (FastTracks) and soldering 22AWG feeder wires to the side of rails. Here's a link to the web page.
https://www.hnflux.com/page36.html#!/4-fl-oz-Superior-No-30-Supersafe%E2%84%A2-Soldering-Flux-GEL/p/49877323
Espeelark (Paul Mac)
Modeling the SP in Ohio
"Bad is never good until worse happens...."