Author Topic: Experiments 1: Running RailPro software on Linux using Wine - Part 1  (Read 4855 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Experiments 1: Running RailPro software on Linux using Wine - Part 1
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 09:38:29 AM »
When you get a draft of the How-to made, I will be glad to proof read it and test it out on a clean Linux install to see if everything works like you expect in a separate computer with a less informed user.

I've made the how to and posted it, though for some reason the images aren't showing at the moment!

https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,1040.0.html

- Tim

blbruhn

• Fireman
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 06:29:35 PM »
After having a hard-drive crash, I had to go through the tutorial in detail.  Everything went well until we started in on the icons.  I have a couple of small items I noticed:

The code for moving the Icons has a typo.  The RailPro and Icons are reversed in the Move lines.
Under Ubuntu 20.04, the desktop icon doesn't function the same.  It was not an issue, as I was able to make a Wine Lnk file that works the same for me.  I even hooked it up to the icons you included! 

Otherwise everything went perfect.  Now, I need to get used to Ubuntu 20.  Things are a little different.

Thank you very much for developing the installation guide!  It is greatly appreciated!!

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 10:21:11 PM »
Thanks blbruhn.

I've fixed the typo in the how-to.

I'll have to look up what the difference is with .desktop files for Ubuntu 20.04 vs older versions of Ubuntu. I'm actually glad following the guide worked for you, apart from the typo and the .desktop file difference; I've made a bash script generator to automate the installation (for those less confident following the guide and using the terminal) and for the life of me I can't figure out what's going wrong. It all installs fine but Wine doesn't work properly. Frustrated by the repeated test failures and the lack of responsiveness of my Virtual Machine I had to put it aside, otherwise you would have been able to use the handy dandy install script.

- Tim