Author Topic: Problem with Scaletrains Ditch Lights  (Read 2461 times)

Pathals

• Fireman
Problem with Scaletrains Ditch Lights
« on: July 15, 2020, 02:53:45 PM »
Having trouble with Scaletrains ditch lights, don't seem to have problem with Athern etc. What are the RaiPro settings to get both ditch lights to just stay on with ditch lights button? Whatever i try I get none, or just the left light on or right light on but not both. Any help is appreciated.

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
Re: Problem with Scaletrains Ditch Lights
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 09:39:02 AM »
Scaletrains sets their ditch lights up so that each individual light is on an independent wire to allow for flashing lights.  When setting up the ditch light function, you will need to choose both applicable wires to get both lights to work at the same time.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 02:20:28 PM »
If you don't want independent control of the lights, I expect you could place both lights on the same output.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Pathals

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 09:00:50 AM »
Seems no matter which wire combination i try still have troubles, can get right light  to stay on but not left light, hopeless at this for some reason

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 09:20:41 AM »
Not hopeless, just not experienced in all the nuances yet  :)

It's been a while since I've been through the settings for an LM but this is what you need, and I'll do it from the beginning:
  • You need to download the lighting effect "On Off 1 Sec Dual Rev 2" to the LM (get it through RailPro Assistant).
  • Create the button for the ditchlights (make sure it's not set to momentary action) and select the "On Off 1 Sec Dual Rev 2" as the lighting effect.
  • Select the pair of appropriate outputs that are hooked up to the ditchlights.
Only the "On Off 1 Sec Dual Rev 2" effect allows turning more than one output at a time on and off, and it's not (or wasn't) loaded on the LM from the factory.

If you want the ditchlights to flash then there is more to it but you said just stay on so I'm presuming you don't need them to flash.

- Tim

Pathals

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 07:38:12 AM »
R
Thanks much! Got them working. Appreciate your help.

Pathals

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 07:45:37 AM »
Thank you G8B4Life! Appreciate your help and they are working now. Wish there was a list somewhere saying what all the functions do, clearly not obvious from their title to me.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »
Considering how RP's visual control interface is light years ahead of the NCE and Digitrax protocols, it's a shame Tim has to label a light function "On Off 1 Sec Dual Rev 2". That's engineering gobbledygook that has little meaning to users, does a disservice to the brand and holds back growth in a competitive market. That's why manufacturers need intermediaries that help departments speak to each other, and to the end product, in ways that are meaningful and productive. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:39:52 AM by ON28 »

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »
Pathals,

Glad we got you sorted out in the end. A list of what each function does? That could possibly be made. We do have a button guide somewhere in the user guides section but not a function / effects guide.

ON28,

I don't disagree, consumer grade information is not Ring Engineering's strong point (it's a problem that runs in the whole train control industry as a whole really but some are better than others), but in the case of naming things, like in this dual on / off effect case it also comes down to how many characters fit across the screen of the HC. As far as I know there isn't a newline character in RailPro, ie a name can only take up the single line that it's on and the width of that line is obviously limited.

- Tim

Philip Papale

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 04:51:20 PM »
I understand all the above but is it possible to have the ditch lights constant at times and flash at other times?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 06:06:57 AM »
I understand all the above but is it possible to have the ditch lights constant at times and flash at other times?

Yep, that you can. You just need to set a button to the "Ditch Finish On Rev2" effect (the Ditch Rev2 effect finishes in the off setting) and either set a single button to the On/Off 1 Sec Dual Rev2 effect or set two buttons to the On/Off 1 Sec Rev2 effect, all downloadable via RailPro Assistant.

You can also set the LM to flash the ditch lights when the horn button is pressed.

I really should update the flashing ditch lights guide I did 4 years ago, it's seriously out of date otherwise I would have just pointed you to that.

- Tim

Philip Papale

• Fireman
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 08:29:39 PM »
Thank you Tim I will look into those settings. Much appreciated.

Phil