Author Topic: Atlas C420 Install  (Read 2514 times)

sandy.hadsell

• Fireman
Atlas C420 Install
« on: July 18, 2020, 07:27:11 AM »
I think I am ready to give my first install a try. I have an Atlas C420, and a pair of C424's that have all run well on DC. Popped the top on the c420 and I see a square 8 pin. Does anyone have any experience with this type of install they would like to share? I wish I had a user manual for these engines, but bought them at a swap meet a year ago. Any advice is appreciated.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Atlas C420 Install
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 08:52:51 AM »
There wouldn't be a user manual as such for them that I know of, well not for plain DC versions but the parts diagrams are available: https://shop.atlasrr.com/t-partsdiagrams.aspx

I can't help much with anything specific on the install side of things as I've never done an Atlas but most on here would do a hardware which would mean getting rid of the factory circuit boards and plugs to make more room and soldering all the wires to the 9 pin harness that comes with the LM. If that doesn't strike your fancy, which it isn't for everyone, at worst you'll need a 8 to 9 pin adapter harness. These are fairly well plentiful and come in different lengths. What you would need to do is determine where the LM would best sit inside the loco so you can get the shell back on properly to workout how long an adapter harness you'd need. If you wish to add sound then it's highly likely you'd need to hardware to be able to able to get everything to fit in.

- Tim

sandy.hadsell

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 01:09:20 PM »
Thanks, The links to the parts diagrams are helpful.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 04:03:37 PM »
I retained the factory 8-pin plug on my Atlas GP-7 install just for convenience, it has worked well. As with DCC layout wiring, there's something to be said for non-solder connections, for easier maintenance.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 01:11:33 PM »
If you're going to retain the factory board and wiring, simply remove the plug that is in the 8-pin plug currently.  Then use an 8-pin to 9-pin harness adapter and plug the LM-3S into it. 

Otherwise, remove all the factory board and solder up all the wiring to a 9-pin plug.  My preference is always to ditch the factory boards, but I'm also a glutton for punishment.  It can be done both ways.

-Kevin

sandy.hadsell

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
Kevin,

Thank You, I ordered some 8 to 9 harnesses from Yankee Dabbler late last week. Should be here this week. If there is not enough room, I can hardwire everything direct and just skip the board? Any issues with the headlights? Is the motor already insulated, and I can just wire direct to the motor leads? Sorry for all the questions. I'm sure when I get the first one up and running, the rest will go easier.

sandy.hadsell

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 03:17:52 PM »
I was successful installing the PWR-56 on my layout and the Lm-3S in the Atlas C420. I put the original board back in, used the 8 to 9 pin harness and a 10mm round MRC speaker I bought on ebay for a buck. I have lights sounds, and successful motion on the first try. I have a few dead spots in track work that will need my attention, and larger speakers for future installs would be better, but I am happy that everything worked on the first try. Thank you to the RailPro users who offered advice and encouragement.

sandy.hadsell

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 03:19:20 PM »
IMG_0432[3063]2.jpeg

sandy.hadsell

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 03:20:31 PM »
Everything wired up.

sandy.hadsell

• Fireman