Author Topic: Using a different power supply than the PWR-56 For G scale  (Read 1419 times)

ironacres

• Fireman
Using a different power supply than the PWR-56 For G scale
« on: July 30, 2020, 10:23:17 PM »
Hello.  I am now using a DC 10 amp 0 to 24 volt filtered regulated power supply  that I assembled from components. I like the power I have and have run 4 locomotives at once with no problem. The PWR-56 I was told, and looking at specs was designed for HO and O but will run G scale, only two locomotives.  It looks like from the conversion watts to amps is close to 4 amps. Can I run my supply, I know it will not communicate with the HC-2, would this cause a glitch in the Railpro software. I am spoiled with my supply, can I run two PWR-56 supplies. Anyone use a different supply like I want to.  Phil

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Using a different power supply than the PWR-56 For G scale
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:17:59 AM »
You can use any DC power supply you wish as long as a) it doesn't exceed the voltage rating of the LM, b) has short circuit protection, c) can deliver enough oomph to make the train go and d) is preferably regulated, which you say yours is. There are a few that are using non RailPro power supplies, at least in H0. I'm not to sure what our other large scale users are doing so hopefully some of them may chime in.

The PWR-56 is only 14.8 volts, is that enough to even run G scale stuff? (and yes, you can run more than one PWR-56, you just need to break your track up into sections for each PWR-56)

- Tim
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:19:37 AM by G8B4Life »

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 09:14:49 AM »
I think a PWR56 is a bit too wimpy for G scale. It is generally not a good idea to operate a power supply at near full load for extended time. Especially passively cooled units like the PWR56.

Get yourself a switch mode power supply of correct voltage and twice the expected amperage. Meanwell is a popular and widely available brand name.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

ironacres

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 10:53:46 AM »
It is to small less than 4 amps, I run a 10 amp 0 to 24 volt DC .  Told from Ring the PWR-56 will only run two G scale locomotives.