Author Topic: Bachmann Large Scale Long Caboose Project  (Read 335 times)

JRad

• Fireman
Bachmann Large Scale Long Caboose Project
« on: December 29, 2020, 08:27:34 AM »
Using an LM-3S with the Accessory program loaded I've set up a Bachmann Spectrum Long Caboose (large scale) for dead rail control of the included lighting and to add some sound effects.  This model has a highly detailed interior and electronics for an HO decoder for simple on/off control of the lighting.  I wanted individual control and needed room for the LM, batteries, and speaker, so the stock electronics were removed including surgically removing the AA battery box interior to make room for a speaker.  I'm still waiting for a small LiIon battery and speaker to arrive, but I have it fully functional using a larger LiIon pack and a too large speaker just hanging around in the interior for now.  A full write-up with more photos is posted at www.largescalecentral.com but here are a few highlight pictures and video of operation.

For the marker lamps I included a few non-prototypical functions just for fun - Flashing or alternating markers!

The stock board just before removal...

Wiring schematic...

Wired (less battery & speaker) and ready for operation...

Operational test...

Video of project program Version 1...

And video of using the Firebox lighting effect to simulate kerosene lanterns...

Not sure how to post video, so I'm just including links for now.

Mod edit: Embedded video links.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 09:30:37 AM by G8B4Life »

atsfguy

• Conductor
Re: Bachmann Large Scale Long Caboose Project
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:27:24 AM »
Nice. Sorta makes me think about large scale, certainly be easier for these old, stiff, fat fingers to work inside a car. Too far along on my HO stuff to switch, though, and I already have two expensive hpbbies, mrr and rc airplanes. Donít need another.
Very nice car and the lighting is great.

Cecil
Cecil
ATSF-Eastern Division

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
Nice install.

I've embedded your video links for you. To embed any other videos you make, when composing your message click the blue and white V button on the editor toolbar (for Vimeo) and then put your video link between the tags. It'll look like this in the message composition

Code: [Select]
[vimeo]https://your-vimeo-video-url[/vimeo]
- Tim

JRad

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 11:05:12 AM »
Thanks Tim,

I looked for a Video Embed button, but missed it.  I see it now :)