Author Topic: Layout software  (Read 6776 times)

faithie999

• Conductor
Layout software
« on: December 31, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »
does anyone have a recommendation for layout software?  after years of dithering, and having built my benchwork a couple of years ago, I'm ready to start laying track.

thanks

Ken

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Layout software
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »
I used Anyrail for my layout and also for a club layout. It is simple to use and the layout I had planned actually turned out just like it did in the program. Lots of options to customize your plan as you like. There is a free trial version which you can purchase for $59. This will give you unlimited expansion.
https://www.anyrail.com/en
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 03:12:51 PM »
FWIW used XTrackCAD. Worked well. Very accurate. https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/

Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 07:41:13 AM »
did you have any issue with opening the program after downloading?

on my Mac, I double-click, then get the (normal) message that it is from an unidentified developer.  I give permission to open anyway.  the icon bounces a few times in the dock but never opens.  this happens both on Big Sur and Catalina.

I tried the PC version, and the Windows 10 antivirus system flags it as malware and won't open it.

update:  apparently Windows Defender hasn't seen this app often enough to declare it safe.  I persuaded Bill Gates to let me open it anyway.

however, still won't open on my Mac, which I would rather use.  I am awaiting "membership" in the xtrkcad Google group so I can post a question about it.

Update 2:  I was able to join the forum and someone quickly responded to my post.  I've been using Macs forever but had never encountered a program called "XQuartz".  it's an X11 windows handler that I needed to add to my system, then the program opened properly.  I have downloaded the 134-page manual and am studying.

ken
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:52:17 PM by faithie999 »