Author Topic: Walthers 130' Turntable powering  (Read 2150 times)

Blueleader

• Fireman
Walthers 130' Turntable powering
« on: November 13, 2020, 03:08:43 PM »
I looked through previous posts and didn't see this specific info. I am about to install a new Walthers 130' turntable and I'm trying to use RailPro power to supply the bridge track. I want to use the provided controller, not an HC. The provided controller has all kinds of programming options including assigning each track a position and reference number for fast, accurate, and easy alignment. I know the PWR-56 is rated at output of 14.2 VDC. And the turntable instructions say 16-24VDC is required, which puts me short by 1.8VDC (But it looks like they are just referring to DC and DCC track power requirements). The turntable controller has built in polarity switching so that's not an issue, no AR-1 needed. Also, the turntable instructions show that the track power source used is the power it supplies to the bridge track (RP in = RP out) so it appears that there won't be an issue there. Has anybody attempted this setup and were there any issues? The only concern I can see is with the track power polarity reversing switch and if it will have an issue with the RP 14.2VDC?

BTW, the turntable motor and controller are powered by a 12-18VAC wall wart and are on completely different circuits than the track power (*power supply not provided by Walthers).

BruceRogers

• Engineer
Re: Walthers 130' Turntable powering
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 07:57:51 PM »
I have converted the Walthers 90 foot turn table to use RailPro. This was not an easy project. The turntable uses a split ring to switch the power as it rotates. I wanted to eliminate this as the power cut kills an engine with sound as it spins. I removed the turntable pit and fixed the gaps with conductive paint. The next thing i disassembled the turntable drive to get the Walthers PC board out. It did not want to come apart easily. I then connected the motor wires directly to the pick up ring. I used an AR-1 to handle the polarity for the track power. It works like a dream now using an AM-1 to control it.
FYI my turntable was the first generation that Walthers built.

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 01:56:45 PM »
You had to do a lot of work on a factory product...Guess with RP we are used to that. I'm hoping this new version will work with RP power. Going to try a RP pwr supply for the track and see if the built in polarity switch works smoothly. If not I'll take the Arduino route and custom build a controller and use an RP AR-1. 

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
I'll be interested to see how it turns out. Of note the pc board in the turntable is for the indexing by the look of it. There's a propeller like blade on a shaft that I suspect counts the pulses to the next stopping location.   

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »
It will be a while before I can get it installed buy I will post here what I find out.

KiloWhiskey

• Engineer
  • Kevin W.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 03:38:21 PM »
I believe it used a hall effect sensor as part of the operation.  The optional control board has lots of options beyond the basic control box that comes with it.
Kevin

In my defense, I was left unsupervised....

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 03:24:49 PM »
Bruce--did you purchase the fully assembled, ready for DCC version, of the Walthers 90' turntable ($250-ish) or the unpowered version plus the optional motor?

I don't want to waste the extra money on the fancy unit with DCC, but I'm wondering if the AM-1 will suitably control the Walthers motor kit.

I have an old Atlas turntable with motor which I will "practice" on after I get the AM-1.

here are the links to the instructions for the  non-motorized 90' kit and the motor.

motor:   https://www.walthers.com/fileuploader/download/download/?d=0&file=attachments%2F09330000001050.pdf

manual turntable:   https://www.walthers.com/fileuploader/download/download/?d=0&file=attachments%2F09330000003171.pdf

thanks

Ken

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »
I need to check my messages more often. Mine was the pre-DCC assembled version of the 90 foot turntable, not to original kit you had to put together.

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 04:18:24 PM »
And I need to do a better job of inventorying all the stuff I've accumulated over the past 25 years.  the other day I discovered a new, unassembled, old version Walthers 90' turntable kit, including a little motor.  So I'm firing up the paint booth and will be building it over the next couple of days.  Bill has just sent me the AM-1 and AR-1 I ordered so I'll be able to power it when I get it built.

Ken