Author Topic: Rings sound samples  (Read 10108 times)

Josephbw

• Conductor
Rings sound samples
« on: February 20, 2021, 09:48:00 AM »
I went to the RailPro site to listen to the sound files. None of them worked. Any idea what is going on?

Thank you, Joe

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Rings sound samples
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »
It seems Ring's site has issues with Firefox. Also, my ad/tracking blocking plugin prevents them from playing. They work for me in Chrome or Edge with blockers disabled.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 10:31:36 AM »
No problems here with FireFox. Site works just fine, sound samples play just fine too however I'm not the most up to date FireFox user at the moment, perhaps something got introduced that broke things in a later version.

Joe, what browser (and version) are you using, and on what sort of device?. The page with the sound samples on it is "sort of" html5 (it uses html5 tags but the page is not in anyway html5 compliant) so if your browser doesn't understand these tags it won't work. Most browsers should understand those tags though.

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 10:49:29 AM »
I'm using Edge. Most of them are working but some are greyed out. Maybe TR is working on the sound page.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:04:15 AM »
Some were greyed out for me too. Oddly enough, page refresh made a few more active.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 11:09:19 AM »
Well, that's pretty strange, unless they are being worked on right now.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 11:35:12 AM »
Hi Tim, I'm using the latest version of Firefox, and also have Adblock Plus. This is on my Dell running Win 10's latest version.

Thanks, Joe

EDIT
I just went back to the site and turned off my Ad blocker, but it didn't make any difference.

My computer came with Edge, I'll try that next.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:44:41 AM by Josephbw »

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »
I just tried Edge as my browser and it seemed to work fine on almost all the sounds. Thank you all for your help.

Joe

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 10:29:19 PM »
Looking into this further, there's a few things that could be the cause of the non playing sound issue for some in FireFox.

First up is of course any ad blocker. If Ad Block Plus is blocking the sounds from playing then it isn't being very smart about what's an Ad or other pup (potentially unwanted program, pup is a term but program doesn't really fit here but for the lack of a better word).  I've not used Ad Block Plus (I block at the DNS level with a PiHole) so I can't say what sort of fine grain control you have over it.

Secondly, the source of the sounds page is a mess. If browsers weren't so good a guessing what should be there the page wouldn't render at all, what with all the missing and misplaced tags. The page also uses the incorrect media type to tell the browser what media type the sound files are.

As a test to see if the page source / incorrect media type is the issue you can go here to test playing a sound with the correct source and correct media type:https://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml5_audio. As the RailPro sounds page uses mp3's delete the horse.ogg line and click the run button to test just the mp3 file.

And lastly, there's not that many sound files there to play. The page displays the controls to play all the sounds but many of the sound files don't actually exist. For me when that happens the controls for the missing file didn't display so I knew that file didn't exist but for others the controls for non existent files do display. The only hint that the file doesn't exist is the length of time displayed would be 0.00 .

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 02:43:14 PM »
The only sound files that currently play on the webpage are ULT ones, and the basic sounds like bell and train sounds.  Prime movers and horns are ULT only.  I wish they would put the older sounds on there as well, then update as ULT comes out.

-Kevin