Author Topic: RAILPRO SOUNDS  (Read 1184 times)

Carter

• Fireman
RAILPRO SOUNDS
« on: February 20, 2021, 06:09:09 PM »
Hi very recently back to trains, HO and railpro, medical leave. Will be downloading sounds etc.

? how do you know what Diesel sounds go with what engine... and certain whistles for steam? etc.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: RAILPRO SOUNDS
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 07:36:09 AM »
Hi Carter,

When I had the same question, I found that googling the locomotive in question would usually turn up some specs that included things like the prime mover and the horn.
Sample searches might be "GP38-2 prime mover" and "CN GP38-2 horn"

Cheers!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 09:31:43 AM »
Most of the Wikipedia articles list the prime mover used in a locomotive, well at least for US locomotives. Even though many things Wikipedia apparently have to be taken with a grain of salt I don't see that the prime mover given in the article would be wrong.

Whistles and horn used is another matter entirely. Many times that was up to the railway that owned the loco. Best bet there is to try and find a fan or historical website for the railway company that has roster information and hope they list the horn or whistles used.

- Tim

donsweet

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
Hi Carter on the Ring Web site under sounds all the sounds are now labeled for the appropriate engines. This is a good guide to start with.  As Tim stated horns are a preference by that railroad or search the internet for answers.

Choose the sound files ending with UTL, they are the newer version with greater dynamics.

Enjoy, Don