Author Topic: Sound file transfer issue  (Read 11482 times)

Josephbw

• Conductor
Sound file transfer issue
« on: April 16, 2021, 09:28:33 AM »
I was up until 12:30 this morning downloading a 567 ULT file. After it concluded, I went to bed. This morning I wanted to transfer the file to my engine, but the only file it found was the regular 567 file.

This was going to go in a GP30 with a LM2S module. Is it possible that the LM2s is not compatible with ULT files? Or have I managed to discombobulate something?

Thank for any assitance, Joe

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Sound file transfer issue
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 10:51:58 AM »
Or have I managed to discombobulate something?

Probably not. The LM-2S is certainly compatible with the ULT series of sound files but you need to have the correct version of the LM software loaded into the LM. I forget which version of the LM software introduced the ULT sound files but if the LM-2S isn't the latest version (2.09) then update it anyway. Also make sure your HC is up to date as well though I don't think that plays much role in it.

I'm going to guess that the file actually downloaded correctly from Ring, so a copy of it is stored in RailPro Assistant.

Check that a copy of the file exists on the HC (go to delete files and see if the ULT sound file shows up). If it's not there then the storage space on the HC is most likely near capacity and the ULT sound file won't fit (you can check this using the Tools and then Software update button). This should have thrown an error though if this happened. There is one other possible cause but I'll leave that one out for now as it's highly unlikely but if the file isn't on the HC and you have plenty of free space and the LM is up to date count how many sound files you have loaded on the HC.

If the ULT sound file exists on the HC then it's likely that the LM software version isn't correct (it shouldn't be a free space on the LM issue as it's not showing up available to copy).

- Tim
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:54:05 AM by G8B4Life »

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 11:38:34 AM »
Hi Tim, thanks for answering me. Last night I downloaded the LM2 update (version 2.09) and installed it before I downloaded the ULT file. I am using the HC simulator with the CI-1 for the update. I'll check the HC Sim and make sure the UTL file is still there.

One strange thing that happened is that both the HC sim and the RP Assistant had more open space after the download than before.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 12:42:54 PM »
It just keeps getting more frustrating. I have the ULT file downloaded into my GP30 (verified that it is in the LM), But I can't start the engine with either the HC simulator or an actual HC. The horn and lights work as expected.

Last night I wanted to install the same file in another engine. First I had to reload the ULT file into my HC simulator, For some reason it disappeared from the simulator. Everything went fine until after the file was loaded into the LM. Then I got a "could not verify" message.

I am on the verge of going to DCC. RP is driving me nuts.

2 days ago I sent Ring an email about some other issues and I still haven't heard back from him.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 01:24:52 PM »
Make sure you have the prime mover button set for the 567 ULT file. I'm thinking that when you deleted the original 567 file maybe you forgot to change the button setting.

Hang in there. Tim Ring will get back to you.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 03:01:44 PM »
I wasn't aware that button could be or needed to be changed. I'll try that and see what happens.

Thanks again Tim.

Joe

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 03:34:44 PM »
Hi Tim, I changed the button to 567 UTL, and changed to the sound button, but still no luck with the engine sound. Using my HC I can move the engine, but only the lights respond to any buttons.

Joe

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 05:18:08 PM »
The “could not verify “ message could indicate that the 567ULT file is corrupt. I would reload it on the HC Simulator and copy it over to the LM2s again.
Al

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 05:52:02 PM »
First of all, I apologize Al, I didn't look at who was writing the text. Do I need to delete the 567 file before I load it again, or will the new file overwrite the old one?

Joe

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 06:31:25 PM »
No problem, Joe. You don’t have to delete the file in the LM, but delete it from your RPA program. Since you are having the problem on both the HC and the Simulator, that would also indicate a file issue.

Download it again from the RPA server in case your existing file is bad. While you’re waiting for the download walk away and get a nice piece of cake and a cup of coffee and don’t go back for at least 35 minutes.  ;D
Al

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 04:19:27 AM »
I am on the verge of going to DCC. RP is driving me nuts.

If RP drives you nuts I don't think DCC will be for you!

2 days ago I sent Ring an email about some other issues and I still haven't heard back from him.

2 days is that all? Not trying to play it down but I'm still waiting on responses from a couple of years ago. In all seriousness 2 days isn't unusual. I sent in a bug report the other week, took 2 days to get an initial reply and then nothing further after providing further information.

Then I got a "could not verify" message.

Can you remember exactly what it said? there are two verify error messages in the HC software and they likely relate to different things.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:29 AM »

I keep telling people, if you need something from Ring, pick up the phone. You'll have immediate help.
Email from Ring is always the slow road.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 10:24:03 AM »
Once again I apologize for not advising all of you what went on. I got to the point that my health was at risk from the anger that ensued from the lack of progress on a supposedly simple upgrade to the decoders. So I just walked away from it and basically resigned myself to all my engines sounding the same.

Yesterday I decided to try one last time. After going through the same procedure as before I finally got my GP-30 loaded with the 567ULT file and it actually sounds great. So then pushing my luck I tried to load the same program in my SW800. That got me right back where I was with the GP30, ie nowhere.

I think the biggest problem with all of Rings programs is that none of it is intuitive. If things followed a logical progression with instructions on one page that you could check off as you did each step, it would really simplify the upgrade process. I'm 72 and my memory and cognitive functions are diminished from a few years ago, which doesn't help matters.

And to answer Bill, the reason I send Tim an email is because that's how I used to communicate with him and always got an answer the same day. That obviously is not the current best procedure.

Joe

PS, I have over 35 years experience with DCC at our club.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 10:30:54 AM by Josephbw »

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 12:19:35 PM »
Joe, on the HC, touch Delete, and go to the SW800. Touch Sound, and see if the 567ULT is listed. If it is, touch Cancel. The problem is then in the HC settings for that engine. If it is not listed you have to copy it again from the HC.

Assuming the file is there, go to the button settings page on the HC and take another look at the prime mover button settings, making sure they are the same as the ones for the GP30. I’m sure you’ll find the problem.
Al

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 02:09:22 PM »
I've managed to come up with a whole new problem now. I've been loading the 2.09 version program update to my LM2S modules. 3 of them worked fine, 3 of them got the "Verify Failed" error message and 1 got the "No Product Found message". On the last failure, I need to open up the engine and check connections.

I can't find anything related to Verification, any ideas?

Joe

I just fired up an HC and I didn't have any trouble with sounds or lights, so I don't think there is an issue with the engine.

I tried downloading the LM update again from Ring and got the same failure again.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 02:27:40 PM by Josephbw »